Cost of the boil.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of registering my utility room/brewery as a business to take advantage of the Tory handouts for rich people. 😞

New business caps:
Electricity: 21.1p /kWh
Gas: 7.5p/kWh

Us little people:
Electricity: 50p/kWh
Gas: 15p/kWh
And you can open a laundry on the side to offset the boil cost.
Agitating your washing will increase the rate of movement of debris out of the clothes without causing great debate about fundamental physics constants interpreted by brewers!

I'm thinking of registering my utility room/brewery as a business to take advantage of the Tory handouts for rich people. 😞

New business caps:

Us little people:
Getting solar panels would be a smart move, say goodbye to bills. Energy prices will not be coming down they will just keep on rising.

Surely they've noticed all those homebrew shops, pubs and breweries (with their extravagantly long boils) having to shut down, because they've made more money than they can cope with over the last 2 years. Now the remainder are getting another hand out. 😡

New business caps:

Us little people:
Nothing stoping you doing that ,you can see how easy it is running your own business then, employing staff ,paperwork,stress ,worry ,go for it

Surely they've noticed all those homebrew shops, pubs and breweries (with their extravagantly long boils) having to shut down, because they've made more money than they can cope with over the last 2 years. Now the remainder are getting another hand out. 😡
On Sky News this morning I saw the owner of Thames Side Brewery saying his energy costs had gone up 400% !

This whole energy thing is worth looking at in terms of whether people will be worse off or not.

My bill from September to September was £1690. The government is giving everyone £400, over 6 months, so I can spend £2090 on energy and still break even for the next two years.

So my exposure is a maximum of about £1 a day if I hit the cap. I have to say, that’s a lot better than what was on the news a week or two ago.

On the other hand, my neighbour, who chooses not to work (his right apparently), says his energy bill last year was over £2500, he has already received £650 from the government for the cost of living, he will receive the £400, so he will still be able to fund his smoking and dishwater beer from the corner shop.

All I’m saying is that specifically on the energy issue, it’s not looking at all as bad as it did a week or so ago.

On Sky News this morning I saw the owner of Thames Side Brewery saying his energy costs had gone up 400% !
Shocking isn't it, at a time when they would be hoping for some stability after the loses from the pandemic. It's lazy and reductive for people to dehumanise 'business' to make a weak political point. When the people running and employed by a business really need help from whoever is in power.

I think @Agentgonzo is thinking of a very small company, niche I'd say.
Do these benefits / breaks apply to self employed?
Unless you register your self employment as a business, then no - they won't apply. It's often far better of to register as a business, provided you can manage the additional paperwork/overhead as starseeker mentions.

I wasn't actually being serious about setting up a company. But it's curious why the caps are so different.

Last edited:
Would you also like parity in VAT and other costs? Could you commit buying the same volume of fuel to reduce your rate? Could lowering production costs help keep food prices lower? Without business your choice wouldn't be eating or heating, it would be hunting or chopping down trees.

Then you are reading the wrong articles. Are you reading Marshall Schott blogs? How else do you think DMS is removed during the boil? It is the agitation which removes the DMS and the steam which carries it away.
Do yourself a favour and watch this pod cast.

I listened to this in the pollytunnel yesterday. I think this is really worth listening to. It certainly made my mind up.

Always follow the advice from anyone called Charley.

6uixp7.gif

Good you could listen to this in the tunnel whilst looking after the parrots.
Listen to all of the unqualified physicists you like to learn your basic science from.
DMS does not need water or steam to change phase from liquid to gas just heat. It may occur quicker if the boil is more energetic but at the cost of more water loss.
It's the laws of physics not the laws of brew podcasters.

Back