Covid.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think its time for the government to bring back mask wearing where necessary?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've only recently stopped wearing one in shops.
Seriously thinking about going back to it. The number of cases around here are rising rapidly again...

If I am feeling unwell I don't go out. can't spread it then. I am aware there is a risk of being asymptomatic but I keep my distance and never visit crowded places. I shop and go to the pub on off peak hours. I follow a swiss cheese model. I use most of the slices of cheese apart from the mask wearing one.

I volunteer for the NHS, and help out in the vaccine clinics (I don’t inject people I hasten to add!!!) so I have wear a mask in the clinics. I haven’t started wearing the mask in shops as yet, and I’m not sure whether I would, unless there was a huge increase in cases, especially since some of the people we‘re still seeing at the vaccine clinic are immune suppressed and I‘d have to be sensible about this.

There again, and as mentioned above, a lot of it, is common sense. If I felt unwell, I most certainly would limit my journeys out of the house, and most definitely wouldn’t do a shift at the clinic until I felt better, even if I tested negative for COVID. At the end of November, iI did have the flu bug that was going around, and I stayed away from nearly everyone for some three weeks, just to be on the safe side.

I had no issues before and nothing since. People just need human interaction. The powerful only obeyed the rules for cameras as we all seen.
My cousin is a primary teacher and she told me she can she a massive difference in the kids in her school because of the masks... In terms of education and their own personal development.

How does she know it's because of masks and not because, they missed a large amount of face-to-face learning time?

I don't think it's time for mandatory mark-wearing fwiw. If there is to be guidance on it, I would hope we went down the FFP2 route. FFP3 is likely overkill for most of the general public.

I think one of the biggest cock ups this government has made at a time when for many money is very tight is stopping free test kits, i am lucky i get mine from work as we have to do regular tests, i wonder how many people feel unwell but go to work assuming its just a cold because they don't want to waste money they can use for gas and food on a test kit when it may be negative.

I think one of the biggest cock ups this government has made at a time when for many money is very tight is stopping free test kits, i am lucky i get mine from work as we have to do regular tests, i wonder how many people feel unwell but go to work assuming its just a cold because they don't want to waste money they can use for gas and food on a test kit when it may be negative.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. So much emphasis is being placed on ‘if you have symptoms restrict your movements’, but many people don’t know whether they actually have COVID, because of the lack of free tests, so they just think they have a cold.

It doesn't matter what the govt say tbh. WAY too many people have utterly **** sick pay from their employers and as such, the vast majority won't be staying in the house unless they are so ill that they feel incapable of working.

In many ways, we have learned nothing.

How does she know it's because of masks and not because, they missed a large amount of face-to-face learning time?
I'm guessing she knows them well and could see a difference from previous classes. Don't get me wrong, I'll bet online lessons are just as responsible. I can see the difference in the graduates in the engineering company I work for. Not being able to physically shadow older engineers has definitely stunted them.

I'm guessing she knows them well and could see a difference from previous classes. Don't get me wrong, I'll bet online lessons are just as responsible. I can see the difference in the graduates in the engineering company I work for. Not being able to physically shadow older engineers has definitely stunted them.

Likewise the nurses I train. The cohorts that missed out of placements are at least a year behind where they should be. That less to do with masks though obviously, as they are commonplace in healthcare. The gap in face-to-face learning time really shows.

Fair play to you. 99.99% of the rest of people don't.
Just out of curiosity... How much does the whole bag over the head fitting thing and mask cost?
No idea re the hood to test, they did it for me at work.
Bearded mask wearers are getting even less effect from their masks.
Don't get me started on " having your nose out or pulling it down to speak "

Another issue is that there's too much emphesis placed on an individual's rights and mask wearing. Becasuse we're no longer allowed to "descriminate", we can't ask why they aren't wearing a mask. I honestly believe that the reason so many people didn't wear masks when they were mandatory was simply because they didn't want to comply and they knew they could get away with it since no-one was allowed to challenge them.

Then there's the ones who claim it affects their breathing. Surgeons and other medical staff wear masks for several hours at a time during surgery but they don't have issues breathing.

I can only think of one non hysterical (real) reason to be exempt from wearing a face mask.
Having a tracheostomy ie breathing through your neck.

Although I'd wear it on my neck to protect me if I had one.

I can only think of one non hysterical (real) reason to be exempt from wearing a face mask.
I think people who have a history of asthma should be excused I used to suffer and I would have objected to wear a mask back then.

Just as a side question is it not the case that mask wearing is being recommended again to protect against the spread of the current increase in cold and flu cases (now being called upper respiratory infections) as well as the rise in covid ?
What I hear from the hospital staff (wife and daughter) is that covid is a lot lower than these infections at the min and that’s what’s putting pressure on the system.

Last edited:
I think people who have a history of asthma should be excused I used to suffer and I would have objected to wear a mask back then.
I don't expect that there are any Doctors or nurses with asthma! In fact the incidence is the same for asthma whether you are general population or not and they seem to cope with a mask.
Much like the introduction of seatbelts and crash helmets many complained. You'd have managed fine and in fact keeping a mask on might have reduced your irritant exposure and made your asthma better!

I don't expect that there are any Doctors or nurses with asthma! In fact the incidence is the same for asthma whether you are general population or not and they seem to cope with a mask.
Much like the introduction of seatbelts and crash helmets many complained. You'd have managed fine and in fact keeping a mask on might have reduced your irritant exposure and made your asthma better!
I have found too many people with ‘health excuses’ who wouldn’t wear masks.

Just as a side question is it not the case that mask wearing is being recommended again to protect against the spread of the current increase in cold and flu cases (now being called upper respiratory infections) as well as the rise in covid ?
What I hear from the hospital staff (wife and daughter) is that covid is a lot lower than these infections at the min and that’s what’s putting pressure on the system.

If that is the case then just tell us honestly, because I understand the R value of covid is much higher than the other infections going round which means a mask is more likely to help stop those than covid.

Latest posts

Back