Covrich Brew day thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only used Wheat Malt and had no problems with that. I am not Daddy Efficiency though by a long way. What is the difference between flaked and malt? Its confusing, i bought some flaked maize recently and that is powdered.
I do this recipe a lot with the WLP400. Reckon your onto a winner there. The smell of the coriander and orange is amazing.

I get 81% efficiency every time, unless I use a lot of wheat, I now adjust my software to compensate.
As far as I know wheat has a similar yield, but to get it you need to crush finer. This obviously risks a stuck mash.
Solutions are; crush finer and use rice hulls or barley kernels to help sparge, or adjust your bhe.

I could add kernels but I cba to adjust my mill, it's easier to throw in a handful more wheat. As you know, so long as you can predict your efficiency, you're in.

I get 81% efficiency every time, unless I use a lot of wheat, I now adjust my software to compensate.
As far as I know wheat has a similar yield, but to get it you need to crush finer. This obviously risks a stuck mash.
Solutions are; crush finer and use rice hulls or barley kernels to help sparge, or adjust your bhe.

I could add kernels but I cba to adjust my mill, it's easier to throw in a handful more wheat. As you know, so long as you can predict your efficiency you're in.

That is just it.. I used flaked wheat so never milled it at all....

I just went with assuming I woudl get the same efficiency.. obviously you don't I think the problem is down to when there is a 50/50 split..

At the end of the day I only lost 4 points put some dme in and back up..

I know for next time

You're right Beercat the coriander and orange smelt great!!!

Top Cropped the yeast from the Krausen last night.. teh krausen on this yeast must have been nearly 6 inches!! :lol:

dumped it into a 1.5lt starter.. which I will use a small amount on a small batch which I might do Wednesday and save the rest for the fridge I might do an american wheat beer with it in the summer.

I've read that proper wits use unmalted wheat as you did, cov, but that as you read, it's harder to mash. I've got one planned and think I'll stick to malted wheat. Ive seen many recipes that use it so guessing it won't be too far from the style.

After the Witbier (fermenting great now and looks and smells amazing despite the slightly disappointing efficiency on the wheat) on it I am with spares going to make up a mini wit or half wit with left over bits later just about & liters or so I think.

Will do this either today or tomorrow.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 7.0

Grain Bill
----------------
0.550 kg Flaked Wheat (33.95%)
0.550 kg Pilsner (33.95%)
0.360 kg Maris Otter Malt (22.22%)
0.100 kg Honey (6.17%)
0.060 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (3.7%)

Hop Bill
----------------
9.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
9.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
8.0 g Corriander Seed @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
8.0 g Orange Peel @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with WLP400 - Belgian Wit Ale

I have harvested a fair bit off teh top crop of my currently fermenting wit, but the karusen is huge.. If its regrown I am going to scoop a load up and drop it straight in the wort.

Had a few left over hops I could have used Fuggles Styrian Goldings EKG or Saaz.. I used Saaz in my other one.. I see a few people use EKG in other witbiers so thought I would give it a try and I was going to put a little honey at flame out too, just to bump things up a bit and see what extra flavour that parts..

All a bit of a throw together experiment tbh.. In the name of science!!

Brew went well, again a point or two below the OG but I expected that with the flaked wheat so if anything I improved..

best and easiest thing was after I put the wort in the small bucket getting a sanitised ladle and just scooping chunks of 3" Krausen off my witbier currently brewing. WLP400 is a beast on the krausen!

Wasn't too sure about this at first but time and a little bit of lagering it has just transformed, completeley different..

Its like a bombardier burning gold or a fursty ferret golden ale now... lovely drop now

Wasn't too sure about this at first but time and a little bit of lagering it has just transformed, completeley different..

Its like a bombardier burning gold or a fursty ferret golden ale now... lovely drop now

Some of those Slovenian hops are good aren't they? My first was ok with the Goldings, but the second with Wolf, Cardinal and Eureka is really good.

Some of those Slovenian hops are good aren't they? My first was ok with the Goldings, but the second with Wolf, Cardinal and Eureka is really good.

Definatley, the prices are good too, and a good alternative to some of the more pricey new world hops.

After the slovenian IPA and the psuedo lager which I was really pleased with I thought at first this was disappointing but now its just grown to equal them...

These hops are great:thumb:

Doing this off the top of my head

Did a new British style golden ale yesterday using well made it up with grains and what not I had left over

Since its british and its topical I thought I will call it Beerexit

2.8kg MO
2KG Pilsner malt
0.2kg Torrified Wheat
200grams honey (put in at 80degrees post boil)

around 29IBS
Should be about 5.2%

30gram EKG 60 mins
24gram EKG 15mins
30gram EKG 5mins
65gram EKG flameout addition <80 degrees

pitched yeast which was Wye Valley yeast cultured up from Butty bach pitched at 24 degrees but got it down to 18-20 pretty quick with a wet towel.

No idea what this will end up being like, just kind of threw it together.

Back