Covrich Brew day thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The sad thing about brewing is that THIS could be the brew that you have been trying to achieve ... :thumb: :thumb:

... it will taste fantastic and replicating it will be virtually impossible! :whistle: :whistle:

On this basis alone, I am sure that it will be more than drinkable. Enjoy! :thumb: :thumb:

Cool. I'm doing my first pseudo lager (a Dormunder export) for my next brew using up some perle hops. I'm going to ferment slightly cooler at 17C using some wilko ale yeast (which the internet says is nottingham yeast repackaged)

I'm planning a pseudo Pilsner with the riwaka I got from SteveJ (anyone know where he's gone btw?) and some sorachi ace. Was going to use sa05 too. I'm basically aiming for something fresh, light, hoppy and hopefully lemony from the sorachi ace.

Probably won't get onto it til autumn now though! Too much beer.

I'm planning a pseudo Pilsner with the riwaka I got from SteveJ (anyone know where he's gone btw?) and some sorachi ace. Was going to use sa05 too. I'm basically aiming for something fresh, light, hoppy and hopefully lemony from the sorachi ace.

Probably won't get onto it til autumn now though! Too much beer.

What temp are you planning to brew at. I was reading up on US-05 vs Nottingham for the purposes of pseudo lagers and strangly US-05 has a slight peach flavour when fermented cold. The other thing I leared about doing pseudo lagers is to do a big yeast pitch to get a clean flavour

What temp are you planning to brew at. I was reading up on US-05 vs Nottingham for the purposes of pseudo lagers and strangly US-05 has a slight peach flavour when fermented cold. The other thing I leared about doing pseudo lagers is to do a big yeast pitch to get a clean flavour

I think mine right now is 17-18 but its going along pretty healthily, so it will be whatever it will be I guess.. I found so far 18 for us05 clean or clean enough for me to not detect anything.

I will let you know how it gets on.. I was thinking perhaps prime it a bit higher like 6 grams per liter..I accidentally primed a smaller batch of ale at that rate or probably higher when I didn't get as much when I racked out the demijohn.. the beer was good but it was just a bit too fizzy for the style.. I would guess a pilsner would favour being a little more lively..

I think mine right now is 17-18 but its going along pretty healthily, so it will be whatever it will be I guess.. I found so far 18 for us05 clean or clean enough for me to not detect anything.

I will let you know how it gets on.. I was thinking perhaps prime it a bit higher like 6 grams per liter..I accidentally primed a smaller batch of ale at that rate or probably higher when I didn't get as much when I racked out the demijohn.. the beer was good but it was just a bit too fizzy for the style.. I would guess a pilsner would favour being a little more lively..

Seeing as its a lager you'll want to prime it at lager carbonation levels. I don't like high carbonation so will be priming it at 5g/L if I bottle or 4g/L if I mini keg any of it

Whatever temp the under the stairs cupboard is at!

Usually about 18c. I'm not too concerned if it's not that lager-like and a bit of peach in there sounds good. Could well compliment the riwaka.

Bottled last night.. it def has a lagerish flavour to it.. probably the noble hops, perhaps not as crispy but with carbonation I find that hard to tell.. light delicately floral, nothing peachy to me as far as I can detect.. Once again good.

I used my own water and treated it too

Should be good, I had 42 bottles which was batch primed with 130grams of sucrose.

2 weeks warm then a load in the fridge and the rest in the garage..

I don't know if its treating teh water or the great hops or both but my last two using the slovenien hops have been a little step up.. Dead impressed with these hops.. the IPA I made has turned out probably my best AG so far

Threw is together yesterday, used up some grain and what not, used gervin yeast and I did treat the water and my OG came out at 1060

only just showing signs of fermentation now..

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.520
Total Hops (g): 75.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 6.4 (EBC): 12.6
Bitterness (IBU): 34.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.400 kg Maris Otter Malt (95.24%)
0.060 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (2.38%)
0.060 kg Munich I (2.38%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Styrian Cardinal Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
15.0 g Styrian Cardinal Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
10.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
25.0 g Styrian Cardinal Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Aroma) (2.5 g/L)
15.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Aroma) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

I tried my cardinal brew last night and it's a lovely hop. I just went single hop with mo and a little bit of carapils so a simpler version of what you've got going on here. Should turn out well.

well worringly 24 hours after pitching nothings happened.. I have the brew in a warmer area now and even gave it a little whisk earlier.. nothing.. :pray:

Well folks have now started drinking this brew as of the weekend and what a cracking beer this is,i think this was my 5th ag brew and is so good it probably will also be the 6th,had a few mates round and they all loved it also very keen on clibits black sabbath,two ends of the great spectrum of beer but both fantastic,thanks again for recipes lads will stick a review up on geterbrewed for the hops cheers lagerlad

Great to hear that Geterbrewed seem to be onto a winner with these hops. Nice for us all to have move choice on the market. Sounds like a cracking beer lads.

Okay 2 weeks I know its young but I tried one,, its got a bit of chill haze which I expect to go in a few weeks (crystal clear in warm)

It is really really good as a pilsner I think it would be hard for a lot of drinkers to not detect it as a true lager, perhaps it lacks that real crispness but flavour wise it is great.

It has a slight lime and lemon flavour which makes it taste like Corona to me.. I think thats the Savinjski Goldings myself..

Great great hops these

Okay 2 weeks I know its young but I tried one,, its got a bit of chill haze which I expect to go in a few weeks (crystal clear in warm)

It is really really good as a pilsner I think it would be hard for a lot of drinkers to not detect it as a true lager, perhaps it lacks that real crispness but flavour wise it is great.

It has a slight lime and lemon flavour which makes it taste like Corona to me.. I think thats the Savinjski Goldings myself..

Great great hops these

I'm deffo not a lager flavour expert but I think the crispness comes from the extended cold condtioning/lagering phase. Can't remeber if you said you've got a brew fridge but if you haven't put 1 bottle in your domestic fridge (not the fridge door) and leave it for about 5 weeks. Then see how its tastes.
MrsMQ doesnt mind if I put 1 mini keg in our domestic fridge. I've a keg of honey porter lagering at the mo

If deffo not a lager flavour expert but I think the crispness comes from the extended cold condtioning/lagering phase. Can't remeber if you said you've got a brew fridge but if you haven't put 1 bottle in your domestic fridge (not the fridge door) and leave it for about 5 weeks. Then see how its tastes.
MrsMQ doesnt mind if I put 1 mini keg in our domestic fridge. I've a keg of honey porter lagering at the mo

Thanks I do plan on some extended fridge time, I don't have a brew fridge actually do not need one for regular brewing

However I do have an old stella beer chiller firdge which I put my bottles in.. I normally have it turned down a bit so the bottles are chilled to like a cold room or cellar temp which suits the ales, but I have cranked it up and will half fill it with these pseudo lager bottles, as for normal ales I can just take them out 15 mins before drinking..

Even if it doesn't get that full crispness its great without it

I am two brews into these slovenian hops and both are up there with the best I done (if I do say so myself :oops:) They are great, I do think the fact I am treating my water has also helped this..

Tried onelast night only a week in bottle, okay actually but given its ended up 6.2% It certainly needs more time but its clean enough.

One thing I will say is that the hops seem a little subdued, could be the recipe. I haven;t used the hops beforeand it is a little young and strong.. But I have heard people mention Nottingham/ gervin can mask hop character a little.. certainly doesn't pack the same punch at the other slovenian recipes I done so far.. I have a lighter one on the go to with Eureka so will see how these develop with this yeast.

WitBier
Witbier

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.000
Total Hops (g): 70.00

Grain Bill
----------------
2.500 kg Flaked Wheat (48.08%)
2.500 kg Pilsner (48.08%)

Hop Bill
----------------
35.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
35.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
25.0 g Corriander Seed @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
25.0 g Orange Peel @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
10.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with WLP410 - Belgian Wit II Ale

Put the mash on this morning then nipped out for a few hours while the kids played rugby.

came back had lunch proceeded to mash out.. tbh my mash out wasn't as good as normal.. I did try some dunking of the bag though.

boiled as normal added hops and coriander seeds and orange peel..

But my efficiency was in the low 60s.. Now I won't claim to have the best efficiency but its normally consistent.. this was a good 10% lower.

I threw in 200grams of DME to bolster it back up..no harm done but I am wondering , could it be the result of using 50% flaked wheat?? does it extract less efficiencly?? I must admit I was out and teh mash went on for 2 hours but I never stirred or touched it .. perhaps I should have.

Ill stick some pics up later anyway

Back