Cracked DJ, theres something fermenting in it?!?!?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbotez

Regular.
Reaction score
Help!! :eek:

Just noticed that the DJ with my Cherries and Berries experiment has got a crack in it about a inch long just before the neck!

Should i transfer to another DJ straight away or will it be ok till fermentaion is done????? :hmm:

Just to be on the safe side I would transfer it to another DJ. Cracks can arbour bacteria. Also, if any pressure builds up in the DJ, which it will during fermentation, there is a good chance that it will burst the DJ.

I would personally wait until the end of ferment and then scrap the DJ.
If you have a "bubbler" fitted" there will be no pressure build up and there is enough CO2 and alcohol flying about to prevent most nasties.
Just my opinion.

well, i transfered it as soon as c_b said, for some reason i couldnt fit it all in the other DJ and now it seems that all has stopped. Was getting about 30-40 bubbles a min, thats a guess, i havent counted but now there is nothing happening! hope i aint killed it off :(

Don't worry, racking can cause yeast to sulk for a while - it'll be going tomorrow.

Make sure the bung and bubbler are seated properly so there are no leaks, as this would also cause it to not bubble through.

AdrianTrace said:
Don't worry, racking can cause yeast to sulk for a while - it'll be going tomorrow.
What an excellent choice of wording :lol:

corby_brewer said:
Also, if any pressure builds up in the DJ, which it will during fermentation, there is a good chance that it will burst the DJ.
Bull, not with an airlock it won't.

Terry, before you sling the DJ out, check that it is actually a crack. Several of mine have defects in the glass which look like they could be cracks, but on closer inspection they are just ripples.

it defo looks like a crack mate, had a real good look before i transfered the liquids.

On a plus note, it has started bubbling again, all be it very slowly. I oppoligised to the nice yeasts and they came out of there sulk! :party:

corby_brewer said:
Also, if any pressure builds up in the DJ, which it will during fermentation, there is a good chance that it will burst the DJ.

Moley said:
[Bull, not with an airlock it won't.
My apologies, I wasn’t thinking when I replied to the post. Of cause your fermenting under airlock so there is no chance what so ever of it cracking further during fermentation. Although I still stand by what I said about binning the original cracked DJ.

If you're certain it's a crack, Dave (Corby) is right, sling it, there are no 2 ways about that one.

yeah its defo a crack, catches my nail when i scratch across it so its heading for, dunno yet, prob the back yard till i can be arsed to do somethin else with it lol!!

Oh, its back bubbling away now :party: :party: :cheers:

Thanks for the help guys :drunk:

Back