Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I always cook basmati -
Fry in a little oil 1st
Boiling water to about a fingers depth above. This bit may need trial and error until you can easily judge it. I normally mess it up if I am using bigger quantities.
Lid on and heat to very low. Dont touch the lid!
It'll be done in 10 mins or so. You can just turn the heat off and it'll stay warm.

Variations
Add some cumin seeds, a clove and a cardamon pod when frying.
Mushrooms go really well too

Large pot of boiling water, rinse 500g of rice add to pot bring to a boil the simmer, keep testing rice until it's cooked then strain and cool down with cold water potion up and when you want it just microwave and freeze the rest. 500g should give you 6 good potions.

I've also always used the one of rice to two of water in any sized container that's appropriate for the serving size. Bring to tiny signs of simmer and lid on for about 15 mins. Has always worked well.

For rice I soak it for a while, rinse till water is clear then use just under the 2 to one water to rice volume. Hard boil with the lid off until craters form in the rice, tightly cover and reduce to lowest setting on hob, leave for 15 minutes.

Also do pilau like that, with the obvious frying of spices etc before adding water.

I also have a bunch of microwave pouches for when I'm lazy, which is at least half the time :laugh8: They are almost always a bit too soft though

We’ve 10kg of this from an Asian grocer that I split into 1kg bags and vacuum sealed. I don’t know how pure it is.
1592410570566.jpeg

This was ASDA own brand "Basmati" so almost certainly not :laugh8: . But the talk of rice made me want to make a pilau/sort of veg biryani for dinner. Worked out pretty well

IMG-20200617-192321199-1.jpg

Going back to the rice (basmati or mixed), should it be soaked first in water to remove some of the starch or not? I have tried both methods and it still turns out gloopy.........

I rarely go for a sit down in a restaurant,but I do enjoy it a lot! It's usually a takeaway but haven't had one now for about 12 weeks.
As for cooking I use it as a way to relax and like the whole aspect of planning,getting everything together then thrashing it all up with a few beers..
I think,for me,cooking at home is my new favourite!

Going back to the rice (basmati or mixed), should it be soaked first in water to remove some of the starch or not? I have tried both methods and it still turns out gloopy.........
I have always had success by doing the following:

1. Rinse 75-100g per person of rice in 3-4 changes of water until the water runs clear.

2. Soak in a bowl of water for at least 30minutes, and up to 24hrs (I normally do this in the morning so it’s ready for when I get home from work).

3. Drain the rice & put into a pan with 1.2 times the weight of cold water to rice. For example, if you’ve weighed out 200g of rice add 240g of cold water.

4. Put a lid on the pan, then bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for seven minutes.

5. Leave the lid on, take off the heat and leave for 10-20 minutes.

Now I’ve written it all out it sounds insanely complicated!! All you really do is wash and soak some rice, drain it, add water and simmer for seven minutes then leave it for a bit...

Latest posts

Back