Curry...!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cobbled together a curry base. Clearly nowhere near as thick or scrummy-looking as Clint's above. Had no green pepper, so used two roasted red peppers from a jar. Also added a small bag of frozen carrots (about 100g) left over from a Sunday roast a few weeks ago. Made about 1.5 to 2 litres of base. It tastes OK. I'll decide tomorrow what to use it in. I'm keen to give one of the Mystic Ricardo recipes a go.

Sorry about the pics. Horrible grey day in the North and had to use the flash. Though as I post this, the sun has come out. ashock1

View attachment 66194
I can vouch for the Misty Ricardo recipes. There are a small number on the website. I liked them so much I bought his book (Curry Compendium) - now I just need to make sure I don't make curries too often. Certainly making them at home made me realise why takeaway is not good for you.
The Onion Bahjis were a hit with my neighbors (as were the curries I made them). I must say, making curry and beer is a good way to make friends with them having just moved to the area.

Curry on the go...no particular recipe ..just my standard" I know what amounts go in curry"
IMG_20220408_171700.jpg

220.jpg

Chicken Dopiaza:

Pilau Rice: Pilau Rice Recipe - Misty Ricardo Curry Kitchen

That was outstanding. Where do I start? The 'caramelised' bits (which I thought might taste nasty) really made this dish. With one final 'pan wipe' to bring everything together at the end, the taste difference was marked once those caramelised bits were mixed in. I'm a big bloke with absolutely no finesse and I'm not ashamed to say I licked the bowl clean.

As an added bonus I now know how to do basmati/pilau without it all clumping together (though I forgot to 'fork' it!).

Thread started by @Clint Well done. clapa

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 66221

Chicken Dopiaza:

That was outstanding. Where do I start? The 'caramelised' bits (which I thought might taste nasty) really made this dish. With one final 'pan wipe' to bring everything together at the end, the taste difference was marked once those caramelised bits were mixed in. I'm a big bloke with absolutely no finesse and I'm not ashamed to say I licked the bowl clean.

As an added bonus I now know how to do basmati/pilau without it all clumping together (though I forgot to 'fork' it!).

Thread started by Clint? Well done. clapa

That looks great. It's making me hungry, and I've already had my dinner.

View attachment 66221

Chicken Dopiaza:

Thread started by Clint? Well done. clapa

Looks professional!

Now that I know how to make basmati/pilau that doesn't stick can anyone recommend a good brand? A step up from Asda's basic 2kg bag?

Rice...my latest favourite...get to Asda find the Veetee rice in a box. Its the PURPLE one you want. Rinse,soak for half hour,boil for about 5 minutes or until just done. I add whole spices during the boil..cardamoms,cloves,cassia,bay. I then drain and use or rinse in cold water and drain for later. If using later you MUST put it in the fridge. Later you can either microwave as is or I usually fry mushrooms,onion,garlic and then gently add the rice.

Wife is out for the evening, so I am being adventurous (for me, that is) and doing Misty's Chicken Vindaloo. Rice is cooked with the leftover water from precooking the chicken, plus a little ghee. Pint of homebrew lager to go with it.
I've never had Vindaloo before. I always thought it was for the brave. Yes, it's hot, but it's really good too!
Very happy right now.
20220409_190430.jpg
20220409_193525.jpg

RICE

Rice need not be bland and can be used for many dishes. The first method is used as the simplest way in which I boil rice.

Boiled Rce:
  1. Wash the rice in the saucepan.
  2. When washed cover the rice with about 1cm of water.
  3. Rapidly bring to the boil then drop the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. After 15 minutes take off the heat and leave for a further 10 minutes.
  5. Fluff up the rice and serve.
Other Rices using same method:
  1. Turmeric Rice: Add a teaspoonful of Turmeric and Ground Ginger plus a Stock Cube prior to boiling.
  2. Coconut Rice: Add tablespoonful of Desiccated Coconut and Coconut Milk instead of water prior to boiling.
Three Rice: Using“Simple Boiled Rice” as above:
  1. Melt butter in the bottom of a saucepan and add enough rice to coat each grain. (I pat this layer of rice down with a potato masher.)
  2. Gently heap the remainder of the rice into a cone shape. Sprinkle half of the cone with a mixture of turmeric and ground ginger and leave the other half bare.
  3. Squeeze the juice from a large orange over the mound of rice, then cut up the rind of the orange and lay it on top of the mound.
  4. Add a few knobs of butter between the orange rind, and then cover the saucepan with a very tight fitting lid (preferably wrapped in a damp tea-towel).
  5. Cook over a very low heat for at least 45 minutes (or you smell burning).
  6. To serve:
    1. Plunge the base of the pan into cold water. (It helps to free the bottom layer.)
    2. Remove the lid and then the orange skin.
    3. On a large plate or hachette, remove the yellow (Turmeric & Ginger) rice and the White rice into two separate piles.
    4. Scrape the Crunchy Rice from the bottom of the pan and use as a separate form of rice in a small bowl, or as a garnish for the other two varieties of rice.
Enjoy!

Rice... If using later you MUST put it in the fridge.
Yeah this is no joke. Rice can contain spores of bacillus cereus which survive boiling - so if rice is left to stand at room temp after cooking these can develop into bacteria that give you really unpleasant food poisoning. If you’re not going to eat it straight away then you should ideally chill it from hot, not just let it cool athumb..

+1 on the "keep rice cool" comment, whole family got very, very ill one Christmas after eating MILs rice salad that had been left out in a warm room.

There's a good offer on 5kg bags of Tilda Basmati in Tesco at the moment, £11 with the Clubcard.

Cooked a Dhansak last night but really overdid it with the chilli, ground up my own powder from Cayennes I'd been drying over the woodburner all winter, took a lot of the seeds out but boy it's powerful stuff. This year's chilli plants are coming along nicely, having a go at Bhut Jolokias for the first time, as well as all the other usuals.

…… This year's chilli plants are coming along nicely, having a go at Bhut Jolokias for the first time, as well as all the other usuals.

Only planted six days ago and sat on the windowsill in the kitchen (the sheds are still covered in frost most mornings), my Cayenne chillies haven’t even broken through the compost yet!

This is despite the fact that I bought a small irrigation gizmo from Lidl last week, so this year … ?

Well, let’s just say I will try yet again and be optimistic!
acheers.

Latest posts

Back