Quantcast

Cwtch by Tiny Rebel Brewery

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Poochops

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was on homebrew online earlier buying a false bottom for the grain father, I’ve not used them for ages and thought I’d have a pootle around the website and saw the Cwtch kit. Remembering how good this is I just ordered one, my first kit for two years and I’ve got great expectations for a Christmas sesh or two!
I was looking back on this thread and it was two years yesterday that I said I’d brew it again, I’ve done about twenty ag brews in the meantime but seeing the kit the memory of how good it is came flooding back, can’t wait to get it going now.

Minimag1

Reaction score
Did this kit myself on the strength of what I've read on here (normally do all grain), must say I'm pleasantly surprised, kits have come a long way from when I did them in the 80's

johncrobinson

Landlord.
Reaction score
I agree. You get good information from members here who have actualy have bought the kit, That oneself might only be still be at the stage of thinking about .

trummy

Reaction score
Hi Liam, this really is a murky brew. Imo it's def worth putting into a secondary or cold crashing for a week or two. When I made this kit I hopped in a muslin bag, then cold crashed for two weeks, it resulted in a crystal clear beer. My brother in law made this recently without the muslin or cold crashing and we described it as pond water, although it still tasted lovely.
Pond water would be an understatement - mine looks like sludge - thick sludge at that. Hope it clears now air temp is beginning to drop

ChrisM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brewed this kit a couple of months ago - lovely tasting pond water describes my experience exactly. I decided against posting a picture - in common with most others on this thread. I bottled half, and found chilling these in the fridge produced a creditable unfiltered beer, rather than something drained out of an old radiator!

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pond water would be an understatement - mine looks like sludge - thick sludge at that. Hope it clears now air temp is beginning to drop
Just close your eyes when drinking!
Clear beer is a personal thing though, I don’t mind it looking like pond water, it’s good to watch the Hophouse 13 drinkers or whatever s*** It’s called look on in horror as I slurp away at my homemade rocket fuel puddle juice (in reality it’s a lovely hazy 4% sessionable ipa hopped to the max)
Decent kit though
Enjoy

trummy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice pms - yea a little haze does not bother me at all, do a lot of homebrew drinking when out in the motorhome so sediment does get shook up.
I did a couple of brews which would not clear at all despite adding finnings. I think it must have been an infection of some kind so really 'thick' beer I am a little wary of. Pleased to say it has started to clear. Still young will give it another month or so now

yrhendystu

Reaction score
Cwtch is apparently Welsh for cuddle and is pronounced cutch.
It also means cupboard, in Wales we have cwtch dan star, or cupboard under the stairs.
Depending on where you are in Wales you'll also see it spelt cwtsh. Either way they are pronounced the same. Like butch but with a c.

Thanks for the review will be interesting to try at some point. Maybe put it on my list for Santa.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice pms - yea a little haze does not bother me at all, do a lot of homebrew drinking when out in the motorhome so sediment does get shook up.
I did a couple of brews which would not clear at all despite adding finnings. I think it must have been an infection of some kind so really 'thick' beer I am a little wary of. Pleased to say it has started to clear. Still young will give it another month or so now
Do you cold crash before bottling? I find it helps a lot

trummy

Reaction score
Normally yes but due to the present situation I was running very
low so had 3 brews on the go at the same time. it had turned warm as well. i usually do my Christmas brews now but I was a month early so i must admit it was warmer than usual - my 'cold crash' is to stick my barrels outside at night.
I brewed Cwtch, Old London Porter and Summer Golden Ale - a good varied selection I think.
Just tried the Cwtch and it has cleared and as thirsty as I was tasted pretty good.

Latest posts