Dehumidifiers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all! We get quite a bit of condensation,mostly upstairs,thus time of year. I'd have the place like a health farm...all the windows wide open but kids and Mrs not too keen on that!
I've put a couple of those Unibond tablet type about and they're working to an extent.
I'm thinking of getting a proper dehumidifier. Mrs runs one 24/7 in her shop but its a heavy duty thing.
Any recommendations for one for home use?
Thanks!

Hello all! We get quite a bit of condensation,mostly upstairs,thus time of year. I'd have the place like a health farm...all the windows wide open but kids and Mrs not too keen on that!
I've put a couple of those Unibond tablet type about and they're working to an extent.
I'm thinking of getting a proper dehumidifier. Mrs runs one 24/7 in her shop but its a heavy duty thing.
Thanks!
Hi Clint we have 2, we have a challenger upstairs and it shifts 2.5L a day cost i think it was £140-00 the one down stairs i bought 3 weeks ago off amazon £50-00 feckin rubbish, they ain't cheap for a good one but worth it, also we have 3 digital hygrometers cost about a tenner off amazon we aim for 50-55 rh%. hope this helps

We had a cheapo one years ago. I can confirm they're not very good.

I can't advise on a good dehumidifier, but we leave the bedroom windows open a crack for a couple of hours after getting up. It seems to help. We have a karcher window vac which is great for vacuuming up the condensation in the mornings!

We had one before we renovated this old place. (It’s in the loft now). It made the place smell loads better, probably as it had a tiny ozone generator built in.

The desicant type are quiet as there is no compressor.

It wasn’t cheap but it was on 24/7.

We paid 155 in 2015, it’s gone up a lot!

Personally I’d try gumtree…

EcoAir DD1 Classic MK6 Blue Desiccant Dehumidifier | Electronic Control | 7.5L/Day | Quiet 34dBA | Ioniser | Silver Filter | Laundry | Timer | 6Kg | Economy Mode | Home Garage Basement Boat Amazon.co.uk

Last edited:
Meaco is quiet, but a low power compressor. Also does laundry. Mucho cheaper than tumbler.

Last edited:
I used to use a Meaco, used to sleep with it on too as I liked the white noise from the hum of it. I think they're a great thing in the winter but can never convince people we need one so have to deal with damp windows etc.

Instead of opening the window after a shower or cooking and letting freezing cold damp air in, just whack the dehumidifier on. Used to collect a litre over a few days when I was living by myself at the time

Got two Ecoair DD1 blue. each 7litres /24hrs!!! First one packed in two days before 2 year g tee ran out. Sent it of and heard nothing for weeks. Bought another. Then the replacement arrived,,,,, Wow! It's ours but re-built completely. Very happy.

Drying clothes when it's pishing no problem. Others may be cheaper but the two year g tee makes a big difference. EcoAir - Warranty Happy dry days m8! Makes house much warmer as well.

I used to use a Meaco, used to sleep with it on too as I liked the white noise from the hum of it. I think they're a great thing in the winter but can never convince people we need one so have to deal with damp windows etc.

Instead of opening the window after a shower or cooking and letting freezing cold damp air in, just whack the dehumidifier on. Used to collect a litre over a few days when I was living by myself at the time
I have wondered what costs lots power. Running a dehumidifier, or letting moist air out, dry air in and heating the air that comes in. 🤷‍♂️

I got this one recently. We have a 140 year old house and the windows do get fairly wet come morning in our bedroom. I think it works well for an individual room.
MONHOUSE Dehumidifier 600ml Portable, Compact & Quiet Moisture Absorber - Mini Air Dehumidifier for Home, Bedroom Damp, Car, Office, Garage, Caravan & Basement - Electric Mould Remover - Black https://amzn.eu/d/fj8wTnr

Last edited:
I have a meaco 12l low energy in the utility area to dry washing as we don't tumble dry.
I've currently got it on a timer to run overnight this time of year too.
It draws the specified current on the back panel & no more.

The 12l is max it will clear in a day as the tank is probably 1/2 that

We have a meaco also, first one packed in after 12 months but was replaced under warranty, current one has lasted 3 years and is on most days

Thanks!
Have a look at the Ebac range of dehumidifiers, award winning British design. Mine works a treat. I have one in the garage and the wife hangs all wet washing in there during bad weather. The Ebac dries it out in no time at all.

We have a Meaco - my only regret is that it is neither smart (programmable) or dumb (can be plug controlled) so I can’t set on off times to save money.

We have a de Longhi dem 10 which must be getting on a bit now but it's very good. 2l capacity, often have to empty it through the day as it fills.

We have a Meaco - my only regret is that it is neither smart (programmable) or dumb (can be plug controlled) so I can’t set on off times to save money.
Just plug the device into a timer. We have one so the dehumidifier in the shed comes on at night while leccy is cheap. The timer we have lets you choose as many on and off periods as you want.

Back