Demerara sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staglioni

Reaction score
Hi,can anyone help me my mate can get cheap demerara sugar so I want to know what we can brew with the sugar

I would assume anything but from what I can gather, it will change the flavour depending on how much you use. I have just started a brew with demerara sugar in it but only a small quantity of my total feementables, 200g of 2.9kg.

I plan on using it in an apple juice cider as I think it could add some good flavour to apple.

You can't make beer, wine or cider just from demarara sugar. You could make a malt-based beer and add up to, say 15-20 of the fermentables as sugar, but it would dominate the flavour and might be best suited to a stout. I understand that in the Caribbean, sugars like this are used to make a wash as a precursor of rum, but by the time you've gone though the formalities of getting a licence to make rum you'd be better off buying a case or two of Captain Morgan.
Flog it round the neighbourhood in the autumn to little old ladies who want to make Christmas cakes and then use the proceeds to buy a bag of malt (and a bottle of rum).

Back