Dextrine malt for head retention

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Reaction score
My beers seem a weak in terms of head retention - especially the bitters which I prefer to carb only very lightly.
I'm wondering whether a bit of dextrine malt might be an idea to help with this. The Simpsons stuff says "use sparingly (up to 5%) to add body and foam stability" but I'm wondering if anyone has experience of using this type of malt

Ta

Reaction score
My beers seem a weak in terms of head retention - especially the bitters which I prefer to carb only very lightly.
I'm wondering whether a bit of dextrine malt might be an idea to help with this. The Simpsons stuff says "use sparingly (up to 5%) to add body and foam stability" but I'm wondering if anyone has experience of using this type of malt

Ta
Hi TETB

Are you bottling, plastic or corny kegging?

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Dextrine malt is for head retention body and mouthfeel, shouldn't matter whose you use, I use Gladfields Gladiator malt as it is unfermentable just add it at mash out along with other unfermentables.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Reaction score
My latest wheat beer which is about 50/50 pilsner/wheat malt has carbed up nicely but the couple I've tried seem to have virtually zero head retention. I wonder why?

little_wings

Reaction score
I agree dextrin has little impact on head, even though some of the malters will tell you otherwise.
Wheat, chit malt or flaked barley are what you should be looking at.
cheers.

foxbat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Dextrin malt doesn't work for me though I still seem to buy it and use it for some inexplicable reason :doh:. Wheat malt or torrified is much better, producing a meringue like effect in the head.

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thanks !
Conversely however, Crisp definitely suggest it as a ”foam and body enhancer”. Who’s a poor brewer to believe…??

View attachment 50804
Believe your own Charlie Bamforth.
This is taken from Charlies paper on Wiley online

little_wings

Reaction score
That's interesting so effectively the dextrin's require to be combined with the proteins from wheat etc... in theory!...

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
What your English bitter should look like, low carbonation, good head retention and good lacing. 4% dextrin malt, dough in with crystal malt at mash out.
001.JPG003.JPG

dwhite60

Landlord.
Reaction score
White wheat malt does it for me. I like the flavor it adds too. I do twelve liter batches. Everything gets at least a half kilo.

Does not help your clarity. I get more chill haze when using it. I don't care though.