Dinner or Tea? [poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When do you have dinner?

• Dinner time is midday we don't do lunch.

• Dinner time is later in the day we have lunch.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Eyup!
Breakfast, Dinner, Tea, Supper - in that order. Champion!

This man knows the proper way of the world.

No chippy tea, from t'chip oil tonight for me though. Cottage pie, cos it's cheap!

Though when I do have a chippy tea, I like a tea cake to make a butty.

*Starts whole new argument over bread*

(I'm right!)

No chippy tea, from t'chip oil tonight for me though. Cottage pie, cos it's cheap!

(I'm right!)

Muffin!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm right!)

Tea cake? WTH is a tea cake?

Unless you mean this. :lol:
d385452097960ef0339286c5f203841c.png
but not with chips :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oy!
Tea cakes have fruit in 'em. I think you mean a bun (my Durham origins are showing). [Steps to one side to avoid the brickbats thrown by members who call it a roll, bap, barm, etc etc]

Four meals a day ...

Breakfast - Dinner - Tea - Supper

... so who needs any more?

Here's Wikipedia's description of "Lunch":

"The origin of the words lunch and luncheon
relate to a small snack originally eaten at any time of the day or night."​

Then the chattering classes "darn sarf" bastardised the word to make it fit in with their decadent lifestyles!

Bluddy sutherners! :whistle: :whistle:

Crumpet? Wot the els a "crumpet"?

I used to eat Pikelets as a kid; but that woz afore them sutherners ponced it up to bein a "muffin"!

It were made from flour, water, salt an baking powder as a stiff batter, then fried in drippin for brekfast.

Muffin! Pah! Umbug indeed!

PS

Darn sarf they thort "Muffin the Mule" wer a sexual purvurshin!

PPS

Just edited as realised it were "Crumpet" not "Muffin" - we never saw either but what they call "Crumpets" we used to call "Pikelets" ...

... apart from that young bit of crumpet that lived down our street! :whistle: :whistle:

Bread n butter (proper butter) with your fish, chips n mushy peas, non of this bun stuff.

I still have to to tell them NOT to cut the bread into two halves.

It's bad enough trying to make a decent chip-butty with half a slice of bread & butter ... :oops: :oops:

... but when they ponce it up by cutting it from corner to corner it's nigh on impossible! :doh: :doh:

Dinner at eight! (but we called that supper when growing up.....)
Tea is something to tide you through until then, especially if you're playing cricket, and High Tea is a bigger tea instead of Supper but earlier. Simple.

There are some exceptions - it has to be "school dinners" (though here they say school lunches) and a "fish supper" and the "you'll have had your tea"
I grew up on South Coast with family from all over and married someone who grew up in the NWest so we have complete confusion in our house, the only thing we agree on is what a turnip is....

Dinner at eight! (but we called that supper when growing up.....)
Tea is something to tide you through until then, especially if you're playing cricket, and High Tea is a bigger tea instead of Supper but earlier. Simple.

There are some exceptions - it has to be "school dinners" (though here they say school lunches) and a "fish supper" and the "you'll have had your tea"
I grew up on South Coast with family from all over and married someone who grew up in the NWest so we have complete confusion in our house, the only thing we agree on is what a turnip is....

Agree with tea during cricket generally around 4pm )main meal after end of play after 7pm sometimes), bowls, then you then have school dinners. Suppose most get the dinner at lunch from school days when a lot of kids had their main meal there, there where dinner ladies, not lunch ladies, although a new saying is 'ladies who lunch'. An hour for lunch, by the time you get there, get served and eat a proper meal the afternoon is gone (working lunches with drinks be 2 hours plus). So most people just get a sandwich or simliar so dinner from your school days has now become lunch. Dinner was around 6pm at home, supper 9-10pm when we came in and was more of a meal if missed dinner, Tea was seen as a snack between coming in from school and four before dinner.

If you ever had "milk pobs" for Supper before going to bed then I suspect that:

a) you're a Northener, and,

b) you are older than 60!

For the uninitiated, "milk pobs" were lumps of dry bread with warm milk poured over them and with about three grains of sugar "sprinkled" on top if you were lucky.

Happy Days! :thumb: :thumb:

Milk pobs! My ol' man used to like his milk pobs, but I was never tempted. He would have been 90 now... Anyway dinner here is 9pm - like to munch whilst watching The Chase ( I've applied to be on it but heard nowt) but only when I'm on days, then a few jugs of ale before feather.

I've consulted the boss as she's always right [emoji23]
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

But if you miss breakfast and go straight for lunch it's brunch.
And if you miss the dinner slot and go beyond 9 it's supper.

Personally I call it all scran time [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinner at dinner time, tea in the afternoon or early evening- sometimes the evening meal is supper or just out for food!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm from the Midlands originally, I eat my lunch at midday, I eat my tea at tea time (obviously), but if I eat out at tea-time this practice is called "going out for dinner."

two meals a day here - Breakfast 8:30am and then Dinner 8:30pm (biscuit, cake & coffee fill the bit between, and then beer in the bit after dinner)

Latest posts

Back