Distilling alcohol for ABV testing and the law.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Si1

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve have recently become registered as a brewer.

I’m looking at better ways of testing alcohol content in the final product.

The usual way to do this is by distilling a small amount of beer (as little as 100ml) and measuring the alcohol with an alcohol spirit hydrometer.

As I don’t have a distillers license would I be breaking the law if I carried out this simple and common test.

It would seem ridiculous if I had to apply to be a distiller for such a small amount for testing ABV.

Thoughts?

Yes! It is the act of distilling that is illegal; not the amount!

It is no defence to say "I was just testing my speedometer Officer." when they clock you doing more than the speed limit ...

... and it's a Policeman's wet dream for a driver to say "I was only doing ten miles per hour more than the speed limit."

Yes thanks, I agree.

Looks like I’ll be sending samples to a Lab instead.

A Distillers license is a nightmare to get.

Can you not just do it the same as us home brewers do it with a hydrometer?

I think I'm correct in saying that the beer duty regulations are all based around SG readings so you'd presumably have to know these anyway.

Buy quality certified thermometers from a lab supply company for reliable SG readings or at greater cost a density bottle and a lab balance to weight it or at even greater cost a gas chromatograph.

quality certified thermometers are your best bet.

Aamcle

Thanks everyone.

I’m a registered brewer and yes you can use the OG - FG calculation. HMRC are happy with this.

I was just intersted in the distilling method of ABV calculation to get a more accurate result.

Thanks anyway.

Latest posts

Back