diy boiler/mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Regular.
Reaction score
I hope this is not a stupid question but looking at some electric boilers like the peco electric digi mash tun I was wondering, how hard it would be to build one yourself?

Would it work to get a heater element, a FV and an STC or something to regulate the temperature?

I do wonder though, are those things suitable for step mashing? and how about stirring the mash etc? Surely you would still have to sit with it and move it manually? Still, I wonder whether it's easier than doing it all in a pot on the gas hob.

Short answer its likely easier to do it on the gas hob. If you wanted to make something to do this the main problem is you don't want any contact with the graina nd the elements so the likely solution is to have a false bottom above the elements. It would also need stirring continuously to make sure the temperature is even throughout. The best solution I can think of would be a plastic bucket with holes drilled in the bottom for a false bottom inside a bucket with the elements in it.

Short answer its likely easier to do it on the gas hob. If you wanted to make something to do this the main problem is you don't want any contact with the graina nd the elements so the likely solution is to have a false bottom above the elements. It would also need stirring continuously to make sure the temperature is even throughout. The best solution I can think of would be a plastic bucket with holes drilled in the bottom for a false bottom inside a bucket with the elements in it.

Yeah I think you can get a false bottom quite cheaply or even fashion sth yourself. I guess as I wouldn't be able to afford any of the Braukessel etc. I'm looking for a good interim solution. Getting the temp right on the gas hob works but can be a but tricky - I think it worked alright with my second brew (have great efficiency) but to be honest, it took me twice as long as it should have ;-)

Latest posts

Back