DIY Steel immersion chiller advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
upload_2019-8-22_8-16-50.jpeg

Here is my Stainless chiller (during construction as it now has taps on the top and support bars). Four coils fed by one of the tubes and waste up the other tube.

The tube I used was 321 grade as I had a few lengths kicking around but I would think 316 would be good, the tube is 11mm diameter and about 0.7mm wall thickness. I made a 5” mandrel that I put in my lathe and then turned the chuck pulling the tube around the mandrel. You could do the same by mounting a big piece of tube vertical in a large space and walk around it forming the coil.
I have now developed it a bit further and use a whirlpool paddle mounted inside one of the coils driven by a drill to agitate the water.

@Dave H sounds like a feasible project. If I can get hold of stainless tube at a reasonable price I'll try it. It's doesn't seem the easiest thing to find though

I use ASC in Lincoln for my non ferrous supplies. There are loads of companies across the country that supply stainless tube so you should be able to find on local to yourself.

Latest posts

Back