DMS in Budvar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought 4 bottles of Budvar Budweiser this week from Lidl and they overwhelmingly tastes of celery/vegetables. A little research tells me this is indicative of DMS - could this be the case?

Still learning about off flavours, but the taste is inescapable. Tastes like broth...

Nerver had that with budvar .
Maybe been stored hot .
I love my czeck pilsners , love the malty taists . My fav used to be pilsner urquell but now think propa stroperman is better not the one we get in uk but the real stuff out there . Evan the polish zywiec pilsner is a gorgous malty drink in europe . Budva is close to the bottom in my list just dont taist that great for me . Could it been scunked in the heat and sun

hmmm, just bought 4 bottles of Budvar from Morrisons, not tried it yet but will have a bottle tonight and see if all is okay.

I'm convinced that Lidl/Aldi can offer some branded goods cheap is because they buy the stuff the main supermarkets wont...stuff that is nearing the end of their shelf life for example. Many times I've bought bottles of Coke and its been flat suggesting it's been hanging around in the bottle long enough to lose carbonation. Could be they got their beer from rejects from the main supermarkets. I usually stick with Aldi own brand stuff, which actually isn't that bad. Things like Budvar and Pilsner Urquell are so far removed from the proper stuff you get in Prague for example its a completely different drink and product so a pointless purchase in my book anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if its brewed in Burton on Trent anyway.

I'm convinced that Lidl/Aldi can offer some branded goods cheap is because they buy the stuff the main supermarkets wont...stuff that is nearing the end of their shelf life for example. Many times I've bought bottles of Coke and its been flat suggesting it's been hanging around in the bottle long enough to lose carbonation. Could be they got their beer from rejects from the main supermarkets. I usually stick with Aldi own brand stuff, which actually isn't that bad. Things like Budvar and Pilsner Urquell are so far removed from the proper stuff you get in Prague for example its a completely different drink and product so a pointless purchase in my book anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if its brewed in Burton on Trent anyway.
Pilsner Urquell don't brew anywhere except Plzen. Pretty sure Budvar are the same. Urquell make the point on their various advertising spiels that you will be drinking the same, original stuff wherever you go.

Things like Budvar and Pilsner Urquell are so far removed from the proper stuff you get in Prague for example its a completely different drink and product so a pointless purchase in my book anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if its brewed in Burton on Trent anyway.

Budvar is only brewed in Czech Republic. They do have a recent collaboration with Thornbridge to brew Czech Mates, but that is a different drink .
Unless you are referring to the unworthy Budweiser brewed in the UK which is a completely different business and has been the subject of a long legal wrangle.

Just drinking my first glass now, I am no beer judge and not a lager fan but this Budvar has a lovely hop aroma, hop flavour with some hints of malt.
It's at 13C so perhaps a little warm for a lager but that's how I store and like my ale's
The bottle was purchased from Morrisons on Wednesday and has a BB date of May 2024.

Back