Do you remember.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knocker-upper in the days before alarm clocks (i wonder who got him up)

1616093055244.png

Nice TV Anna.

Who remembers Rediffusion cable TV, the box below was on the side of the Livingroom window and you selected the channel you wanted to watch using it as there were no channel buttons on the TV set.

View attachment 43420

View attachment 43423

View attachment 43424
When I worked on the tools I accidently cut through the cable on one of those boxes, there's at least 5,000 wires inside, honest.
The customer was out all day so I thought I could fix it before she got back.
I drove into the nearest town and bought a soldering iron, solder, flux, insulating tape etc.
With the shopping and soldering and swearing it took me nearly 4 hours + £15 to connect it all up.
When the lady came home I thought I'd better own up.
"About your rediffusion box" I said.
"Oh yes" she said. "I was meaning to ask you" she said.
"I haven't used it for 3 years, you couldn't get rid of it for me while your here could you" she said.
"No problem at all" I said "My pleasure" I said.

I used to walk to the phone box around the corner from where we lived and ring the phone box opposite my mates house, wait for someone who was walking past to answer then ask them if they could give his front door a knock, they always did as well, sometimes it was the same person!

When we used to visit my grandad this was a sound we heard several times during the visit.

We had a box on the back of the telly that took 10p coins (and two bob bits) then a bloke came every month to empty it. It always seemed to run out half way through star trek or planet of the apes

We had a box on the back of the telly that took 10p coins (and two bob bits) then a bloke came every month to empty it. It always seemed to run out half way through star trek or planet of the apes

Pay as you go TV -

1616099360122.png

We had one in this colour.

92280f0ac7efd9cb453159cba4e5970b.jpg

I saw a YouTube video not so long ago where (I think) the dad had challenged his two teenage sons to make a call on one. They failed.

I know we had one when I was a nippa and my nan had one when I was much older. From memory it was hard wired into a box in the hallway and not with a plug line house phones these days.

There was no plugs, like you say was a small junction box and it was hard wired, one of the copper wires was for the bell/ringer.

Dreadful toilets! Well,some haven't changed much! I went into the toilets one night in a pub in town and there was a pi55ed up chap lying down in the trough with all the "pineapple chunks" disinfectant blocks! He'd fell over and couldn't get up..he had one good hand raised so I pulled him to his feet...he had gone there from work and was wearing a donkey jacket and wooly hat..both if which were now soaked in pi55...he was still stood by the bar at chucking out time...

Back