drinking beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
although you say this is excessive are you drinking stronger ales or are you drinking session beers at about 4%.

I mean on a night out in a pub the first 2 beers normally go down with in about 40 mins so that would only leave me about 3 pints for the rest of the night.

lol
big d 2657

Most beers I drink are over 4%. Got a 5% pilsner and a 6.5% IPA on the go atm but that is home brew.

Yeh if I go "out" then yeh you're looking at a beer every 1/2hr which can mean your session involves maybe double figures consumption (god bless my liver when I go to newcastle later this mth for the magic weekend!) but going out on a session like that is rare for me nowadays

me myself think you should guage youre tolerance of alcohol by wether you get ****** as ****** is what does the damage and I can count on my hands and feet how many times over the last 20 years I have truly been ******,i usually know when to stop

Most beers I drink are over 4%. Got a 5% pilsner and a 6.5% IPA on the go atm but that is home brew.

Yeh if I go "out" then yeh you're looking at a beer every 1/2hr which can mean your session involves maybe double figures consumption (god bless my liver when I go to newcastle later this mth for the magic weekend!) but going out on a session like that is rare for me nowadays
I still think its spirits that knacker your liver quickly.mainly because the strength of them and the capacity of not filling you up like beer,hence I rarely touch them:thumb:

I still think its spirits that knacker your liver quickly.mainly because the strength of them and the capacity of not filling you up like beer,hence I rarely touch them:thumb:

I totally agree with what you've said and i don't drink spirits any more for that very reason. I quite like them though but not as satisfying as a cold beer.

me myself think you should guage youre tolerance of alcohol by wether you get ****** as ****** is what does the damage and I can count on my hands and feet how many times over the last 20 years I have truly been ******,i usually know when to stop

I'm no expert on this but my understanding is that you can damage yourself by regularly drinking excessively even if you're not ******. I rarely get to the point of being ****** anymore but I wouldn't kid myself that my drinking doesn't do me any harm

Newcastle I live there [emoji2] 2 good pubs to go are filthys and mile castle good beer and people are normally canny.

Enjoy yourself

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I don't drink wine or spirits anymore (not since the missus packed in the drink entirely about 6 or 7 yrs ago).

I have between 1 and 5 pints, around 4-5 days of the week. Usually it's 2 or 3.....with maybe 5 on Friday.

Am I drinking more since home brewing? Hard to say. I'm not buying beer from the shops.

When its all sitting there and you can hear it calling to you,drink me,drink me its bloody hard to resist.I think in the last week I've supped 25 pints maybe but console myself with the fact that its no less than 94% water so can't be that bad for me,just my figure and who cares about that at my age not that I have an overly large bay window gut

And you know what 'they' are always telling us: drink more water. More beer = more water! I'll have 2 pints a night when I'm on days and afters, total abstinence when I'm on nights and 3 pints max on Sat and Sun. There's a reason why I impose those limits on myself... years ago I'd have 6 or 7 pints a night, every night for many years, plus a 'blowout' at the weekend. Then my pancreas exploded and put me on life-support for over a month. 2 years teetotal ensued. Then doc said I could drink in moderation, overdo it and expect to die in a most violent and horrible way. A recent liver function test came back perfectly normal. Hmm....

In case you dont know, to work out the units, one unit is 10ml of alcohol. You times the volume of the drink by the ABV to the alcohol in ml and divide by 10 for the units, so a 500ml bottle at 5% ABV is 500ml X 5%= 25ml, 25/10 is 2.5 units. So for you minimum of 8 bottles is 8 X 2.5 = 20 units a night.

Crikey, that's a long-winded way of working out the number of units! Easier just to look at the % alcohol, say 5%. Units is half this. ie. 2.5.

Actually I've spent the last few months trying to cut down on the number of units I drink a week. But I drink every day, a bottle in the evening watching TV and often a bottle at mid-day when it's calling to me. Finding it hard just to get it down to 30 units a week, let alone the old recomendations - 21units for men. And who ever gets down to the new ones - 14 units?

Hi all,

A quick question to put out there,
I was speaking to a friend of mine and he says homebrewers tend to drink too many times a week.

My experience I normally drink 4 nights a week and each night is about 8 - 10 pints.

does anybody else think this is unreasonable.

Cheers
Big D 2657
I have 4-5 500ml bottles three times a week. Up at 5.30 weekdays, bike Saturday. Usually drink Saturday night, Sunday night, Wednesday night.
Found since homebrewing I've just swapped some of tescos finest for my own. Don't drink any more than before.
I do find my homebrew seems stronger, even though it's supposed to be around the same abv as I've always had.

I pimp kits to about 6-6.5% and have 5-6 bottles even 7 or 8 on a Friday if a mate's round and the same on a Saturday. After that I don't drink again until the following Friday. My reason for this is that as I'm getting older (53 next week) I just can't do the mornings after, even after a couple of beers as I could in my younger days. What I do find is that I spend all day Friday looking forward to what I've loaded in the fridge and after a good break of five clear days I really enjoy actually getting drunk. I think familiarity can breed contempt and drinking every day can make it that you're just having another beer rather than "this is nicer than I remember, what hop did I add to this". I do think that 40 pints is excessive but in my twenties that's probably what I drank and I don't want be the cause of colour discrimination between the kettle and the pot. As for spirits, they're just too brutal on my head and body. I end drinking them like they're beer and get led to bed gibbering incoherently and I'm then dying for two days.

Crikey, that's a long-winded way of working out the number of units! Easier just to look at the % alcohol, say 5%. Units is half this. ie. 2.5.
?

That works for 500ml bottles, but I thought I would give the full formula if anyone doesnt know it so it can be applied for any size bottle.

And I realised that the bit I put about the effects of excessive drinking was in a period when I was drinking more than that. I would drink 3 or 4 pints every night and Friday and Saturday far more. At that point I used to go to the pub straight after work on Fridays and stay until kicking out time. I had a few times the bar staff told me must have had 50 pints in a night, but 40 was nearer my usual. I would have been drinking nearer 200 units a week.

That works for 500ml bottles, but I thought I would give the full formula if anyone doesnt know it so it can be applied for any size bottle.

And I realised that the bit I put about the effects of excessive drinking was in a period when I was drinking more than that. I would drink 3 or 4 pints every night and Friday and Saturday far more. At that point I used to go to the pub straight after work on Fridays and stay until kicking out time. I had a few times the bar staff told me must have had 50 pints in a night, but 40 was nearer my usual. I would have been drinking nearer 200 units a week.
Assuming an eight hour evening that's more than 1 every 15 minutes!!! :shock:

Assuming an eight hour evening that's more than 1 every 15 minutes!!! :shock:

One about every 10 minutes at the start of the evening, slowing a little as thi night went on. If it was busy I'd get 2 piints when i went to the bar.

Definitely find it too easy to reach for another (and another) as prior to brewing I would generally just buy what I was intending to drink that night.

SWMBO likes me to keep a tally on the shopping board which helps me limit myself over the month. It's not a bad system as long as I remember...

I generally try to only drink a 3 or 4 midweek and then at the weekend.

over the last 10 weeks i'm down to 35 units.
over the last year an average of 42 units
since 2001 when i started recording my consumption 36 units

in a week: 94 - 17
in a day : 21 - 0

I normally have Mon,Tue,Wed and most of Thursday off then Thursday evening Friday, Sat & Sunday on the pop.

My new job means i'll have to swap that around as it involves shifts and being on call.

Am I ever doing to get to 14 units a week, don't think so.

the World Health Organisation used to say about health risks:

under 35 = low
35 to under 53 = medium
53 and above = high

This was as the time that our 28 units was 'guessed' because we had no empirical evidence to support a number.

If the OP is interested in reducing his HB consumption there are a few strategies he could employ

- Put the beer in smaller packaging. It's oh so easy to just put the glass under the tap for that last one when packaging in any sort of keg/barrel. So use bottles and smaller ones at that. I have quite a lot of 330ml bottles and often use these to package in.
Similarly use a smaller glass. If your pouring a litre into a a stein your going to drink it. So a 330ml glass to go with the 330ml bottles (I have a couple of these too) can help with that

- Brew session strength beers. It doesnt take long for your body to get 'acclimatised' to 5%-8% beer. So that becomes your normal session strength. Drop the strength to 4% or even lower

- Brew shorter brew lengths and less often. If you havent got the beer sitting their winking at you,, you wont drink it. I'm too tight to go to the shop to buy beer so If I havent got it I dont drink

Another strategy that enables you to still enjoy the hobby of brewing but to drink a bit less is to give your beer away. I make regular gifts of bottles to various people.

Latest posts

Back