Dry hopping advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a few questions about dry hopping, I have never tried it before and could use some help.

Do you dry hop in the primary or secondary? Or will it work in both? I have an IPA that has been sitting in primary for two weeks, If I wanted to dry hop it, should I do so in primary or secondary?

Do you put hops straight in, or is it better to use a small mesh bag?

Finally, when should I dry hop, I did read that leaving hops in for too long will cause bitterness.

Thanks

Try this
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/a-newbies-guide-to-dry-hopping-your-beer.61045/My view is there is no right or wrong way. Its what suits you personally. So choose whether you want a bag or not , and if you do whether its muslin or nylon mesh, and then do you add weights like marbles or SS spoons. And then, when do you dry hop, a few days in or at the end of fermentation (my preference). And how long for, two days or seven or longer. And finally what quantity of hops do you add? Again personal preference, some folks will say 50g of one hop is more than enough others look for 150g or more.
So my suggestion to you, as you have not done it before , is to put your hops in a large nylon mesh bag , weigh it down with some SS spoons and leave it in for between four to six days.
But if you don't use a bag be prepared for some hop carry over unless you can cold crash which helps drop the hops.
Finally bitterness mostly comes from the boil, not a dry hop, which is supposed to be about aroma and then flavour to a lesser extent

Last edited:
If you dry-hop for too long then there's a risk of grassiness rather than bitterness.

Personally, I use an unweighted bag and dry hop in secondary at 6 or less days to bottling/kegging.

id chuck them in primary now- then keg or bottle after 3 days at room temps. how are you racking- if from a spigot at the bottom and using leaf hops id just juts them in as they will float. if its pellets- unless you are going to cold crash id put them in a mesh bag of some description.

Latest posts

Back