Dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Hi I have two Neipa on the go at the minute been in two and a bit days so about to add hops. I normally put them in hop bag or tea infuser thing and take it out after few. day's.. Was wonder can I just throw them straight in and leave them in twice as long (10 days) then rack into keg and dry hop again.. Or will this give of grassy taste. Just hate the hassle of having to sanatise hop bags and adding them to fv adding extra risks of picking up infections

Hi I have two Neipa on the go at the minute been in two and a bit days so about to add hops. I normally put them in hop bag or tea infuser thing and take it out after few. day's.. Was wonder can I just throw them straight in and leave them in twice as long (10 days) then rack into keg and dry hop again.. Or will this give of grassy taste. Just hate the hassle of having to sanatise hop bags and adding them to fv adding extra risks of picking up infections
Personally i leave mine for an average of 5 days,sometimes up to seven,also either in hop bag or strainer ball.Some say it will leave grassy flavours behind if left for too long,i honestly don't know.There again,will you gain anything from an extended time!

I just throw them in. Although, it depends on your set up, how you rack the beer etc. If you are confident that you can rack without picking up the hops then just throw them in. Ideally you want pellet hops and can crash cool for a day or two before racking, that way they will sink to the bottom of the fv. 5 days is long enough though, but you'll get better contact of beer to hops.

I just throw them in. Although, it depends on your set up, how you rack the beer etc. If you are confident that you can rack without picking up the hops then just throw them in. Ideally you want pellet hops and can crash cool for a day or two before racking, that way they will sink to the bottom of the fv. 5 days is long enough though, but you'll get better contact of beer to hops.
yeah five days is how long I do my first dry hop on a Neipa but with it having to be done during high krausen (two or three days into fermentation) if I was to just throw them in would have another ten days till I would want to transfer it to keg because would want to leave the yeast to do its thing.. The second dry hop I normally just throw them in five days before kegging and cold crash it day or two to drop hops out of suspension then rack into keg

Personally i leave mine for an average of 5 days,sometimes up to seven,also either in hop bag or strainer ball.Some say it will leave grassy flavours behind if left for too long,i honestly don't know.There again,will you gain anything from an extended time!

Not trying to gain anything from the hops just don't want to add hop bags or tea infusers to my beer with all extra cleaning and just an extra risk of infection

yeah five days is how long I do my first dry hop on a Neipa but with it having to be done during high krausen (two or three days into fermentation) if I was to just throw them in would have another ten days till I would want to transfer it to keg because would want to leave the yeast to do its thing.. The second dry hop I normally just throw them in five days before kegging and cold crash it day or two to drop hops out of suspension then rack into keg

If this is what you usually do, it seems to me that you have it figured it out. Personally I think 10 days is too long for dry hop after the fermentation is over.
I usually just throw the hops in with no bag or anything and everything works fine so you should be fine, no grassy flavours should appear unless you leave the the hop for too long or, in my experience, if the hop is not fresh or is too old.

Chuck em in when the fermentation has finished and brew is clearing, often after racking.
5 to 7 days max.
Use a small nylon filter over the end of the siphon tube cane.

A century ago (okay, last century which isn't so long ago) I did mess with dry hopping. But as was the way back then, home-brew practices where just copying commercial practices, so "a small handful" of hops were chucked into the pressure barrel and the lid sealed. Can't say I liked the result and stopped it. The result would be described as "grassy" these days.

In the commercial world the cask would be drunk pretty quick and the free floating dry hops never got to sit in the beer that long.

I'm just revisiting dry hopping using modern home-brewing practices of utilising "hop spiders" and dry hopping in the secondary. The hops don't get the chance to sit in the beer long. Haven't got my techniques tuned just yet, but no "grassy" flavours.

I've been reading up on some of the "American" commercial tricks of the last 20 years. They don't just "chuck in a handful of hops" either, but use incredibly complex methods well outside home-brewing possibilities.

Chuck em in when the fermentation has finished and brew is clearing, often after racking.
5 to 7 days max.
Use a small nylon filter over the end of the siphon tube cane.
First dry hop has to be during fermentation for an Neipa.. I just put one of them in nylon hop sock the other one in the tea infuser will just throw the pellet in for the second dry hop like i normally do. Was just hopping could avoid having to use hop sock or anything guess it's the best way

Latest posts

Back