Dry Hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronos

Reaction score
Dry hopping is something I have not done as yet and I am not too sure how to go about it properly.

I am going to brew a BrewDog Punk IPA from the book 'Craft Beer For The People'. The recipe states that dry hopping is best done at 14c.

My understanding of the dry hopping procedure from the book is as follows...

Ferment at 19c until the FG is reached and then transfer to a new FV and drop the temp to 14c and conditioning for two weeks. I am not sure at what point is it best to add the dry hops or how long they need to be in there for. Also I shall be using pellet hops, is it best to put them in a hop bag or just add them direct.

If I was brewing a 23l 1060 AIPA I would just wait until it hits 1015 then dry hop with 100g of T90 big alpha C hops in a sanitised nylon mesh bag (15cm sq) Leave for a week. Once the FG hits 1006 I cold crash @ 6-12*C? 2 days then keg. I also squeeze the bag into a sanitised jug and add (I hate wasting aroma),,,, But others may suggest differently :blush:

It would seem dry hopping 'warm' actually gives a more desirable outcome according to this wee experiment:
http://brulosophy.com/2016/01/18/dry-hop-temperature-warm-vs-cool-exbeeriment-results/

I contain my dry hops but I do believe that it can compromise the extraction of the aromatic oils this way if the container/bag is not large enough. The pellets swell up considerably and depending on the quantity used it can form a fairly compact clump which would almost certainly restrict flow through the hop pulp. I prefer not to throw them in 'commando' though as I do find the hop debris doesn't seem to settle down all that well.

I dry hop at 20c for 2 days then cool to 5c for 2 days to stick them to the bottom of the FV. I use pellets, thrown straight into the FV, based on the following rates.

Dry-hopping-table.jpg

You'll get many different techniques, even from professional brewers. Experiment and have fun finding what works for you.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Once fermentation has finished I want to transfer to a new VF, drop the temp to 14c and then add the dry hops for 5-7 days, then crash cool to -1c for a further 7 days.

Is it ok to crash cool with the dry hops still in the VF or is it best to transfer to another FV before I crash cool.

I do exactly as @Druncan states. In terms of temp I just do it at whatever the fermenting temp was, nothhing changes. Maybe something i need to look into, but never had any issues.

Back