Dry hops. How long too long?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timw

Reaction score
Evenin' all.

I dry hopped an IPA 11 days ago and was hoping to get to bottling sooner than that but have been held up at work. If I leave it until Sunday, which is 13 days, what do we think.... Should I stop drinking this delicious Texas Brown Ale (Yeastie Boys 5.5%) and rush home to bottle immediately or just say sod it - a couple more days won't really matter. ...?

It was 30gms of leaf centennial and about 10gms pellet chinook I think....

I've left hops in the FV for 2 weeks before several times and it was fine. I've read this can lead to grassy flavours but I've never detected them. It probably depends on the hop variety. The varieties I used to dry hop would have been high alpha US hops as well.

Likewise, I have done different times of dry hop, including more than a couple of weeks in a stout, never had any grassy flavors.

I've left hops in the FV for 2 weeks before several times and it was fine. I've read this can lead to grassy flavours but I've never detected them. It probably depends on the hop variety. The varieties I used to dry hop would have been high alpha US hops as well.

I've find it depends on the temp, I've done an extended dry hop at relatively high temps twice (22/23c) and there was an odd taste both times. If I was to do over 5 days again I'd do it at a lot lower temp, probably between 10 and 15c.

Thanks folks. I had a second pint of driving-preventing Yeastie Boys .... Amazing how quick re expression "sod it" comes to mind.

I've find it depends on the temp, I've done an extended dry hop at relatively high temps twice (22/23c) and there was an odd taste both times. If I was to do over 5 days again I'd do it at a lot lower temp, probably between 10 and 15c.

That's interesting. What kind of odd flavours were they? Grassy or something else?

I'm rubbish with describing flavours, I can't remember the last time I ate grass either so hot sure I can do a fair comparison. :lol:

I would be interesting to know because I sometimes get this odd flavour in my IPAs. It's probably not dry hopping but would be good to rule it out. This flavour usually disappears after 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

Have had a grassy flavour in my pilsner that was dry hopped with cascade for 10 days. but after the first one you don't notice it!!

A flavour/aroma is good or bad dependent on whether it was designed to be there. In some hops and styles grassy can be desirable.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I would be interesting to know because I sometimes get this odd flavour in my IPAs. It's probably not dry hopping but would be good to rule it out. This flavour usually disappears after 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

Next time I have a bottle I'll pay more attention and ask whoever I'm with to describe the flavour as well. This flavour has only faded slightly in a couple of months so probably not the same you're experiencing.

A flavour/aroma is good or bad dependent on whether it was designed to be there. In some hops and styles grassy can be desirable.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

having said that......

I've done a few beers which had flavors I wasn't expecting but I loved them. I design stuff and ofter they turn out different but no disasters so far except perhaps one stouty beer had vanilla & Licorice. I can cope with one or the other just about but not both together :oops:

when using citra I've had an aftertaste like the 'woody' one you get in tanglefoot. Which I'm not a fan of. Answer: I stopped using Citra and replaced with amarillo :grin:

I remember Citra being all the rage not too long ago, so thought I'd try some to see what the fuss was all about. Thought I'd done a faceplant in the cats' litter tray. Yuk!

having said that......

I've done a few beers which had flavors I wasn't expecting but I loved them. I design stuff and ofter they turn out different but no disasters so far except perhaps one stouty beer had vanilla & Licorice. I can cope with one or the other just about but not both together :oops:

when using citra I've had an aftertaste like the 'woody' one you get in tanglefoot. Which I'm not a fan of. Answer: I stopped using Citra and replaced with amarillo :grin:

I see your point, I was kind of meaning the perceived common 'off' flavours. Sulphur in an American IPA would be a fault, but intentional adjusting your water for an English Bitter to get some Burton Snatch wouldn't. In the same way grassy notes from tropical hop like Galaxy would be an unintentional fault, but not if you'd used a grassy hop like Strisselspalt intentionally for its grassy character.

Back