Dry yeasties; Hydrate or not? - the final answer from Lallemand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting. I've taken to skimming the foam off the top before sprinkling without any ill effects. It never seemed right leaving it sat on foam although I never had a problem other than a very slow start to fermentation getting underway with a fair bit of inactive yeast still on the surface later on.
The foam isn't an issue (it's just wort/beer). But the foam did physically stop the yeast from going into the wort.

Agreed and I tolerated it a long time but skim the foam off now. I have to say I always find the rehydrated lallemand yeasts more satisfying to use than the sprinkle on types.
Rather than skimming, why not add the yeast before the wort gets foamy?

I had this. I now gently drop the yeast out of the kettle. Then lightly and slowly sprinkle the yeast to avoid clumping. Leave it alone for a few mins (manufacturers recommendation with 15) while I tidy up and then is gets 10 seconds with a balloon whisk.

The only reuse I do is if I dump a chilled wort onto a previous slurry, or part of. Instructions from SWMBO are “you have already taken up a whole drawer in the freezer for hops, you are not taking up space in the fridge as well”. We have been married for 20 years and I knew from the look on her face at the time this was not open to negotiation 🙄.
+1 re extra space despite there's only 2 of us in the house now, it's all taken up with bread just in case. I daren't point out that I can bake bread and flour takes up less space than a loaf does :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back