Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gents, quick note to say I've not abandoned the thread or the site, just been incredibly busy. Daughter-in-law has been very ill, so all my time has been spent juggling work with son along with babysitting

Real lives first mate, hope everything works out ok for you.

I've just kegged this afternoon. Just got back with a very muddy dog from a long walk.

I've not got the party star tap as of yet but I batch primed my brew with 100g sugar for 20 litre. 3 kegs rest bottles. Normally I prime each keg.

I didn't know about the 20% less priming but never had a problem.

Many thanks although minimum order of £10 and £10.60 delivery to NI makes it not worth it. I'll keep searching. Thanks for your help though.

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/easy-keg-bung.html

Try here Mark posage is �£3 though. Thought hbc.ie did them but just checked and they only have the grey partystar ones.

Smashing!

I've a load of sites bookmarked but it's not always easy finding what you need. I've bought of BrewUK before. I've just ordered 6. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

I just wasted an hour searching when all I had to do was ask here :)

Hi folks. First post, not actually ventured into homebrewing yet, just getting a few ideas/budgets together in my head. If using a Party Star tap, or similar CO2 based method of dispense, how long could you expect a beer to last from pouring the first pint?
I know the general idea is to crack one of these for a party or over a weekend, but I really don't drink that much in one sitting anymore so would ideally need a mini keg to last a month if possible.

Cheers,
Will

Hi folks. First post, not actually ventured into homebrewing yet, just getting a few ideas/budgets together in my head. If using a Party Star tap, or similar CO2 based method of dispense, how long could you expect a beer to last from pouring the first pint?
I know the general idea is to crack one of these for a party or over a weekend, but I really don't drink that much in one sitting anymore so would ideally need a mini keg to last a month if possible.

Cheers,
Will

Hello, and firstly welcome to the forums !

When using the party star tap you are constantly re-filling the head space as you empty the keg with CO2 so in theory it should keep the beer good for weeks or months. In reality if you are leaving just 2-3 pints in the bottom of the keg for weeks then I suspect it would be a bit flat when you did get round to drinking it. I bottle, king keg and use minikegs but I only tap a Minikeg when I plan to get through the whole keg over a weekend (9 pints so 2-3 pints a night Thursday - Sunday). Used over a weekend with the party star tap the last pint is as good as the first pint.

If you are only drinking 2 pints a week I would start out with bottling (330ml or 50ml bottles, or a mixture) - with minikegs as plan B if your home brewing takes off and you could use minikegs for parties or weekends in the summer etc.

Hope this helps

Hi, cheers for the response. I will most likely start out with bottling, but I'm already having visions of it being a time consuming pain!

Due to size/space restraints I will only really be brewing small batches 1 or 2 gallons. I would like to have a few different beers on the go at one time but don't really have the storage space for 30+ bottles. I had grand plans to hook-up a small scale 3-way minikeg system, hopefully for cheaper than 3x Party Star Taps but would need the beer to last a decent amount of time to make it worthwhile!

Hi, cheers for the response. I will most likely start out with bottling, but I'm already having visions of it being a time consuming pain!

Due to size/space restraints I will only really be brewing small batches 1 or 2 gallons. I would like to have a few different beers on the go at one time but don't really have the storage space for 30+ bottles. I had grand plans to hook-up a small scale 3-way minikeg system, hopefully for cheaper than 3x Party Star Taps but would need the beer to last a decent amount of time to make it worthwhile!

No worries, filling 9 or 18 bottles isn't going to take too long and if your stuck for space bottles are a good solution, you can tuck them away here and there in the back of cupboards etc.

Anyway, good luck with brewing.

Mini kegs are the dogs ******** when it comes to space restraints. I have space for about 200x330ml bottles (which is about 3 brews worth), I like to condition my beer for at least 6 weeks so need more 'packaging'. This is where mini kegs come into there own. It sounds, like me, you haven't got that big a living area? However you can dot mini kegs all over your home. I only have 4 at the moment but I've got 3 in the bookcase sitting in front of the books and one in the stereo shelf. I've looked at other possible places around my home as I will be buying more MK's in the future. I can get some under the bed, underneath the coats in the coat rack, on top of someeof MrsMQ's wardrobes, etc. There's loads of places. 1 MK holds the same amout of beer as 15 of my 330ml bottles but the space it take up is a lot less

As far as partystar taps and C02 is concerned, it depends on how much you like carbonation in your beer. I generally carbonate on the low side as I'm not that keen on it so a MK can last me a week. I was considering getting some sort of carbonations system but flat beer doesn't bother me in the least (the last few days the beer is more or less flat). Try it you might, like me, like it? After all carbonation of beer (afaik) is a relatively new thing and for most of the history of beer it would have been flat.

Just used the party star tap for the first time and really pleased with it. Combined with the torrified wheat (not used before), the head looked like Guinness.

Didn't do up the co2 holder quickly enough and lost a bit, but know better for next time. The keg had pressurised well as I got a good hiss when I pushed the tap in.

Used 12.5g sugar and it's a little on the low side of carb'd, but it's a bitter so I don't mind. The beer itself is a little watery as I ended up with about 3ltr too much, but on the plus side it's only about 3.5%, so I can have more!

Yes, looked at the party star too, it was just the fact it chilled the kegs that made it look good. We don't have much room in the fridge!

Yes, looked at the party star too, it was just the fact it chilled the kegs that made it look good. We don't have much room in the fridge!

I can't fit mine in the fridge either, unless I remove a shelf. They also sell keg cooling jackets that you put in the freezer. I bought a couple so I can just keep swapping them over when they thaw out.

Not used them yet though, so no idea if it will work! Guess they're meant for keeping them cool, rather than cooling them down.

I bought a party star tap to use with my mini kegs . it as been working fine the gas lasted a keg of O S H . moved it to a hobgoblin keg and gas run out after a couple of pints. When I went to change the gas cylinder , screwed it in and suddenly the gas shot out from the back of the plastic cylinder holder freezing cold too . I noticed a tiny hole at the bottom of the holder a neat hole looks like it was drilled out . Is this a relieve system or a fault with the Tap I wasted a gas cylinder but tried another same thing but not as bad and tap is working now but lots of gas wasted. Anyone else had this problem and anyone know how to solve the problem . The 16g cylinders are not easily obtainable only found them online so cost plus postage , dont want to waste the gas.

Ron (better days)

Back