Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot of pages in this topic for a newcomer to read... got to about page 30 so far!

Anyway, I haven't yet found what I'm looking for. I've been doing homebrew for a while, and also fed up with bottling. This 5L keg system seems a great idea! I've got a 5L Hobgoblin I bought from Waitrose today sitting in the fridge. The plan is I'll drink it and then put my homebrew in it. My main use for these 5L kegs is for parties, and I want to use it with one of the desktop chiller / dispenser things, eg:

http://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-App...Hopfenthal-Bierzapfanlage-Silber-5-Liter.html

Has anyone got one of these? Does it work / can it work? Or am I barking up the wrong tree??

Thanks!

There's a lot of pages in this topic for a newcomer to read... got to about page 30 so far!

Anyway, I haven't yet found what I'm looking for. I've been doing homebrew for a while, and also fed up with bottling. This 5L keg system seems a great idea! I've got a 5L Hobgoblin I bought from Waitrose today sitting in the fridge. The plan is I'll drink it and then put my homebrew in it. My main use for these 5L kegs is for parties, and I want to use it with one of the desktop chiller / dispenser things, eg:

http://www.klarstein.co.uk/Home-App...Hopfenthal-Bierzapfanlage-Silber-5-Liter.html

Has anyone got one of these? Does it work / can it work? Or am I barking up the wrong tree??

Thanks!

I think the general census is they aren't as good a buy as the party star deluxe tap.

Thanks!
It's been brought up a few times in this thread but the lack of reviews, confusion over which models on the website use CO2 cartridges and which don't (all product descriptions say there's no cartridges but the instruction book for the £99.99 model says it does, the other 2 don't mention it in the instructions), and the fact it says it only keeps the brew 7 days (I thought the CO2 would keep it longer like the Party Star) seem to be putting people off actually buying one.

It seems to get good reviews on the German Amazon but I'd be more interested in finding out from someone in the UK where I don't need to use Google Translate to read it. My lack of fridge space means something like this would appeal to me!

I would say the £99 one uses the cartridges, as you can see the door in the side in which they are installed. I guess the 7 day thing is just a lazy copy from the £119 model, as is the "doesn't use co2" bit.

There is a number on their website that someone should be able to clarify things on.

I may be tempted when I eventually convince the missus into lett me start home brewing!

The instruction manual for the �£99 model, linked on their product page, specifies that it uses co2 cartridges - http://bda.klarstein.com/de/10010176.pdf - P.17 onwards

Yeah that was what I spotted. If I can confirm more than 7 days life I could be tempted to take one for the team and request one for my birthday!

I drink 4-6 bottles over a weekend so really about 10 days would be ideal!

Just go to The Home Brew Shop and buy a starter kit or buy the bits individually. I use the deluxe tap and it is amazing that any unused CO2 is saved when you pull out the spear from one keg and put it in another (even weeks later). I do not understand why some people buy 5l kegs of beer to get a "free" keg. They are only £7.44 empty. The CO2 cartridges can be bought for about 75p and they last 1.5 kegs.

I have been looking at this too, I noticed the 99 one was co2. Might order some hobgoblin from Amazon to get me going, it's £13 on prime at the moment

I have been looking at this too, I noticed the 99 one was co2. Might order some hobgoblin from Amazon to get me going, it's �£13 on prime at the moment

I think you have to order 2 for free delivery. I've ordered 2 of these before, delivery was quick. As noted above you will need replacement bungs for the top around 75p each (reusable).

They work just fine for our purposes.

I was in on this thread about 50 pages back, sporting the use of these

Picked up st Peter's larger from co op for 13.50

South Birmingham, but I suppose a deal, because they had 20 odd.

Latest posts

Back