Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two. They are brilliant. Advice: Turn the regulator to the lowest setting when the beer is finished and you are pulling out the tube, so you save the unused CO2 for the next MK. Also, keep the regulator turned down when you push the tube into the next MK because you wont need extra CO2 for the first pint or so. Brew UK is much cheaper than The Home Brew Shop. I'll make a note. Regarding the little "O" ring that comes with the chrome spout: it works fine without so don't worry when it perishes.

First sample from the mini keg tonight Youngs American IPA chilled nicely. Very impressed and as good as any beer you can buy in a pub. Very impressed.

d8d60d2895b93f820ee18047c3d7234b.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Bought 4 of the easy kegs last week and my first attempt at small batch biab is ready to go into one.

Without reading the whole thread anyone kindly suggest how much to prime a stout with in one of these?? Thinking about 10g?

For a stout you may want to go less than 20g but saying that mine haven't turned out how I wanted them yet.

Perhaps but my last brew in the MKs was a porter. I've found I get better head retention when using the MK's as well as nice lacing in the glass. The wheat malt probabaly helped as well but I was getting a head like guiness. Really creamy with small tightly packed bubbles

Perhaps but my last brew in the MKs was a porter. I've found I get better head retention when using the MK's as well as nice lacing in the glass. The wheat malt probabaly helped as well but I was getting a head like guiness. Really creamy with small tightly packed bubbles

Cheers went with 15g ill see what it's like and maybe up it next time!

Cheers went with 15g ill see what it's like and maybe up it next time!

When I first got my MK's I read that your only supposed to prime to half your normal amount or you'll blow them up. But I found that at that rate (12g) was far to low. Then I read to prime them at 20g and found this to be much more to my likeing. I dont like highly carbed beers but 20g is just right for me.

Yes it can. But,,,,,,,, it has to be converted first. I buy a lot of these type of kegs - with different beer in - and convert them. I drill a hole in the top, to the side of the centre outlet, pull out the spent gas cartridge and glue the top end of a lucozade bottle into the hole I've drilled. You need a strong glue - I use Araldite Rapid (other glues are available). There are pictures etc that I posted on THIS thread, 1st July, page 81. Why do it..? Because I'm tightass and don't like throwing stuff away. Take a look:arrow:

PROBLEM!

On 8th July I bottled and kegged a brew of Fulstows Recession Session with an FG of 1.009.

Today I went to tap the last of the MK's and as I pushed the tap into the top of the MK beer came squirting out from MK/Tap seal of the bottom valve.

It finally stopped (after I had lost a fair amount of beer on to the floor) and has now apparently sealed itself.

I am assuming that the MK was over-pressurised for some reason (it tastes okay so I'm assuming it was me rather than a wild yeast getting in there) and I have a number of questions:

1. Do I bin the MK?

2. Do I remove the bottom tap assembly, clean it and return it; and if so then how?

3. Can I use the MK again without doing anything at all?

This has never happened before so I'm a bit worried because I intended to fill my nine MKs and take them to France with me in a few weeks time.

With the GBP>Euro rate being so low the last thing I will need is to have an MK dumping 50% of its contents onto the ground in France.

Trying to persuade SWMBO that I have to buy French beer will go down like a lead balloon!! :doh: :doh:

Comments and assistance please! :thumb: :thumb:

PS

Still need the "What to do next?" advice on the MK but looking back at my records (i.e. before I started numbering my MKs) there is a good chance that this one contained Fulstows IPA and that I overfilled the MK because I filled it before I made the "depth float"!

That would definitely explain why it suddenly started spraying beer everywhere when I inserted the wand of the tap!

PPS

The bottom seal has resealed itself and filled with water and pumped up it has now held pressure for three days! Weird eh?

Last edited:
Tapped my first keg last weekend and I'm so impressed I've ordered a bunch more so that I can use these for most of my brews.

You can order a maximum of 8 from Leyland as one delivery in case anyone's wondering.

2016-08-19 18.59.21.jpg

Back