Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either my keg or my tap is leaking CO2. A cartridge has lasted 3 pints and when I switch the gas off it is hissing for 20 seconds or so before it stops. I'm having to pump CO2 in for the entire time I'm pouring. Any ideas what the problem is or what I can do to fix it? I've got loads of petroleum jelly around any potential escape points.

I got told somewhere in there thread that if you put the co2 whilst pouring through the tap, the co2 will just flow straight out

On the Party Star tap that I have the CO2/Pumped Air inlet is above the level of the beer and totally separate from the inlet to the tap.

When I first got the tap I had to strip it down because the "automatic" pressure control didn't work properly due to "stickiness" and a couple of perished "O" rings.

I tapped into a MK today, took the first three pints off using the carbonation pressure (one and a half via the Party Star and one and a half via the built-in tap) before using the CO2 injection.

I was happily surprised to discover that the 8g CO2 cylinder I had fitted to the gizmo about three weeks ago still had sufficient gas in it to force out the next pint.

I stopped at this stage because after four pints I decided that the taps and CO2 system were working okay; and that I was getting less and less effective! :whistle:

I will be away from home for a few days so here's hoping that I still have some pressurised beer in the MK when I get back! :thumb: :thumb:

I stopped at this stage because after four pints I decided that the taps and CO2 system were working okay; and that I was getting less and less effective! :whistle:

Bottled/kegged the beer yesterday and wanted to find out if I can use the mini keg to force carbonation.

Was a bit flat. After a few pints I decided to leave the tap in the keg with the CO2 open over night to force carbonation and go to bed.

Germ, how did it go?

Works pretty good, all beer from the kegs gone :oops:

Just pushed in the beer tap with a CO2 open over night and the next day had exactly the right amount of carbonisation.

Now have to wait till the bottles finished 2nd fermentation.

Has anybody tried sugar cubes for priming? At 4g per cube seems a fuss free idea.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Either my keg or my tap is leaking CO2. A cartridge has lasted 3 pints and when I switch the gas off it is hissing for 20 seconds or so before it stops. I'm having to pump CO2 in for the entire time I'm pouring. Any ideas what the problem is or what I can do to fix it? I've got loads of petroleum jelly around any potential escape points.

I've discovered what the problem is here. I think my tap should have a little rubber o-ring that sits between the dip tube and the tap, but it's missing.

It's a Beer King 2000 tap, which I know is now discontinued. Anyone know where I can get hold of a spare?

I've discovered what the problem is here. I think my tap should have a little rubber o-ring that sits between the dip tube and the tap, but it's missing.

It's a Beer King 2000 tap, which I know is now discontinued. Anyone know where I can get hold of a spare?

Is it this one from Fass Frisch?

0_0_productGfx_33cf308e02aa9d7a82d7e7ca12552731.jpg

Yep, that's the one. I got it second hand about a month or so ago.

It still seems to be keeping the beer fresh, it just seems to be leaking CO2 somehow.

That's the companies web site http://www.fass-frisch.com/impressum.html
You could send them an email. They should understand English, if you need a Germlish translator though, just let me know.

Is anyone using one of these http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/profi-tap-with-co2-injector-1511-p.asp
Mine seems to be leaking from it's CO2 inlet hole at the top. This tap is designed so you have a choice of the pictured 16gm bulb or by removing the bulb assembly you can use an air pump or with both removed a tube fits on the spigot from a CO2 regulator. Which is what I do. However if I pressurise the keg to a few PSI the CO2 starts to slowly leak out of the spigot when the tube is removed. Whats odd is that I have stripped the valve down and there is no sign of why it's leaking. Just wondering if anyone else has this try and how they find it.

Is anyone using one of these http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/profi-tap-with-co2-injector-1511-p.asp
Mine seems to be leaking from it's CO2 inlet hole at the top. This tap is designed so you have a choice of the pictured 16gm bulb or by removing the bulb assembly you can use an air pump or with both removed a tube fits on the spigot from a CO2 regulator. Which is what I do. However if I pressurise the keg to a few PSI the CO2 starts to slowly leak out of the spigot when the tube is removed. Whats odd is that I have stripped the valve down and there is no sign of why it's leaking. Just wondering if anyone else has this try and how they find it.

I use one like this - but it is now (or then) called a Flexi-Tap.

When I got it I had to strip the whole lot down, give it a good clean and change out a couple of perished "O" rings to get the CO2 system to work properly.

It is now working perfectly but I don't trust the "automatic" element so what I do is use the carbonation pressure for the first few pints and afterwards use the CO2 on a sporadic basis.

1. When the beer stops flowing from the bottom tap:

o I get out the CO2 system.

o Adjust the thumbscrew until it starts to flow CO2.

o Attach the CO2 system to the MK and pour a pint.

o Slowly wind the thumbscrew out to stop CO2 flow (this gives some CO2 to the MK).

I then repeat as required; but use a modified bike pump for the last couple of pints if I'm not planning to leave them in the MK.

It's remarkably easy once you get used to the "system". :whistle: :whistle:

That's the companies web site http://www.fass-frisch.com/impressum.html
You could send them an email. They should understand English, if you need a Germlish translator though, just let me know.

They sent me a diagram and asked what I was needing, but it turns it where I thought I was missing an o-ring but actually I'm not.

My beer was flat on Friday night and I used the rest of that CO2 cartridge getting the rest of the beer out. I've got birthday money so I've decided just to splash out on a Party Star Deluxe. Brew UK seem to be the cheapest but I'm waiting for an email back from them first as I've asked them if they know when they'll be getting spare bungs back in stock.

Back