Ebay 'brew' thermometer...buy cheap buy twice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All i can say is buy the most expensive thermometer you can afford ( i'm talking about digital only here) as they seem to be out a little and when you get at the higher temps (mashing) they may be off 5 to 6 c up or down , if you got 3 of em i would bet they would all say a different temp .
However if it's for the fermenting then you can get some from a pet shop for fish tanks (only go up to around 50c) for around £4 .

iv got one i use for my fv but i paid less than that mine, is about 1c- down and they only work up to a -20c/+70c

I have two of those and paid less than that too.

They both tell different temps for the same fridge. Useful as a rough guide, but not much better than that. I used an Oregon Scientific thermostat to compare and they were around 2 degrees out for the worst one.

I dont do AG brews, but I use one of these in the kitchen as they seem to be standard catering equipment:
http://www.thermometersdirect.co.uk/wat ... pd2031.htm

I got this one. I really don't recommend it, it told me that my boiling wort was at 96 degrees and ice water was at 7 degrees :wha:

I wouldn't trust the cheapo one, I got THIS one from amazon which is still quite cheap and seems very accurate, I have tested it with both ice water and boiling which reads 0 and 100c exactly so I think its accurate...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cononthebarber said:
I wouldn't trust the cheapo one, I got THIS one from amazon which is still quite cheap and seems very accurate, I have tested it with both ice water and boiling which reads 0 and 100c exactly so I think its accurate...

This is the one I use, it's served me well so far :thumb:

I have this one:
markmark said:
I use this one
http://www.thermometersdirect.co.uk/wat ... pd1991.htm

I've seen it appear in a fair few others brew day threads too.
It's waterproof (handy if you're clumsy like me) and always matches my spirit thermometer whenever I've checked one against the other.
And this one:
Cononthebarber said:

They both read almost exactly the same temperature and agree with my glass thermometer. The main advantages of the Comark one (top) for me is that it is waterproof and I can recalibrate it with iced water :thumb:

StevieDS said:
Cononthebarber said:

This is the one I use, it's served me well so far :thumb:

I use both the one linked to above, and one the OP is interested in (paying less from a UK supplier, though). I wanted a sensor that I could secure with a hose clip to the outlet pipe of my CFC, for a constant check of the wort's temp going into my FV. It's made brewdays significantly easier, not having to constantly sterilise the probe to check and re-check the output temp :)

When it arrived, I checked it in iced water, together with my old spirit thermometer, and the one linked-to above. The cheapo jobbie and spirit thermometer gave the same readings; the one linked-to was 1 degree lower. I accepted the majority verdict!

Cheers,
Chris

I'm looking for a thermometer as my final piece of equipment to start BIAB. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :)

buy once buy for life
the comark thermometer is 15 delivered and super accurate
even works in a dishwashing machine
http://www.comarkusa.com/product.tpl?pr ... hermometer
pgla.jpg
[/URL]

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back