Ecofass Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not leak. :grin: It's probably the same but in a more portable format and able to do both. I'm not saying it is better than a cornie, but it is easier to clean, steralise and serve. Less to go wrong. There are no poppets to leak and replace etc, or o rings. While co2 is useful it is not needed for serving. You can use compressed air. You can also batch prime and ferment in the keg without the worry or over inflation in a polypin. But you can allow excess gas to escape. And it uses industry standard sankey or grundy connectors.

I think the key thing with these kegs is that they will probably be future proof unlike cornies which will get harder and harder to get hold of, along with their accessories.

Vossy1 said:
I think the key thing with these kegs is that they will probably be future proof unlike cornies which will get harder and harder to get hold of, along with their accessories.

I`m more of the opinion that the traditional beer keg will be even more future proof, especially if the idea behind the eco`s doesnt take off. It is interesting though that the test kit comes with the bag and reuseable spear which IMHO could very well be cleaned.

Again if you dont need co2 to serve and anyother form of gas would do it makes them quite portable, I know you can get co2 bulb guns for corny kegs but they dont exactly last very long. Bicycle pump despensing anyone?

The price of cornies has now reached the price of new kegs, so the original advantage for homebrewers has now gone. And with more and more micro brewers the manufacturers of kegs have turned to making 20-30lt sizes, which are perfect for our use. I plan to use a combination of ss kegs and the ecofass ones. While the test kit was more expensive to get than a cornie, the regular kegs on their own are about the same price as a cornie. So I was able to sell my cornies and swap over to new kegs for only about £30 extra investment.

But it has buggered up V1 and Chris's bar set up for TST as they will now have to provide sankey connections. :lol: :tongue:

Cyclops said:
what does this do that a Corny or a Polypin wont?

Serve proper cask (well, keg) conditioned ale. A whole keg's worth. Without CO2. And it won't go off...

calumscott said:
Cyclops said:

Serve proper cask (well, keg) conditioned ale. A whole keg's worth. Without CO2. And it won't go off...

That I think is the most attractive thing, using a beer engine and it not going off.

graysalchemy said:
calumscott said:
Cyclops said:

That I think is the most attractive thing, using a beer engine and it not going off.

But you don't even need a beer engine! You can just use a very low service pressure so squeeze it out of a fountain - you're still not gassing the beer! :thumb:

I no Calum but if I am serving ale from a cask/keg it would have to be a hand pull. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dennisking said:
calumscott said:
Cyclops said:

In 30 years of using polypins never had one go off.

Serve proper cask (well, keg) conditioned ale. A whole keg's worth. Without CO2. And it won't go off... and it looks cooler? :lol:

calumscott said:
graysalchemy said:

But you don't even need a beer engine! You can just use a very low service pressure so squeeze it out of a fountain - you're still not gassing the beer! :thumb:

Ooooh, don't tell camra... :whistle:

Swift Pint said:
calumscott said:
graysalchemy said:

Ooooh, don't tell camra... :whistle:

Oh someone just *had* to open THAT can of worms... :lol:

Regular casks allow air to be introduced as beer is drawn off. These kegs can act like a polypin, but can also take pressure. Giving more options on beer styles. Not sure camra should be bothered as no extra co2 is introduced, leaving the beer unadulterated.

Basically it won't be Kosher unless it is served from a hand pump with no gas, and i suspect if they had their way it should be served out of a wooden cask as well, by a buxom severing wench, no less. :oops: :oops:

so will a trial set come with everything you need to get going? or will I need to add/bodge other bits to get going?
im liking the idea and they look pretty cool

Took this photo a few years back, before I bought the hand pump, to show to someone over on Jim's how much pressure polypins can take. As you can see it's down to the last pint, I even took a photo of that last pint, it's the one I use in my avatar. It most certainly is a real ale. These new kegs do look a good idea but as the polypins cost around £10 and it's around 5 years since I last bought one and require no maintenance apart from cleaning and sterilising I think they offer great value.

5251319649_e8e15800b5.jpg

dennisking said:
These new kegs do look a good idea but as the polypins cost around £10 and it's around 5 years since I last bought one and require no maintenance apart from cleaning and sterilising I think they offer great value.

Nobody is saying they are not. The point is that these kegs can also act as a polypin if required. But if you want to brew a different style which needs a bit of pressure you are knackered with a polypin. Also somewhat easier to move if required. I too think these kegs have their bad points as well as good, but overall I think they are a step forward from the corny, and way more versatile.

Hope you take some photos when you start to use them Bob, I'm sure a lot of people would like to see them up and running.

Back