Ecofass Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a first try I'm going to fill it with white wine to take away with us on Sunday for a week. My plan is that SWMBO can keep a couple of bottles in the fridge and just refill from the keg a required. Also she drinks it so fast it's not worth bottling all of it. :grin:

Vossy1 said:
I think the key thing with these kegs is that they will probably be future proof unlike cornies which will get harder and harder to get hold of, along with their accessories.
And there's me just starting to invest in cornies :doh:

HLA91 said:
And there's me just starting to invest in cornies :doh:

If you bought them 3 years ago they are now an investment! Sell Sell Sell!! :eek: ( So I an buy them)...

I know this thread is about Ecofass kegs, but I think a mixture of regular kegs and Ecofass kegs is the way to go. I did have nine cornies and now plan to have four SS and 4 Ecofass, all sankey fitting. The sankey fittings can be got on ebay for around £5-£10 so less than 2 ball lock fittings. And they are made to last and receive heavy use such as in a busy pub. So for home use they will probably last me out.

A few weeks ago, I was having a chat with the owner of my local craft beer pub about serving beer. He took me on a mini "tour" of the cellar and showed me a couple of these Ecofass kegs and how they work and the set up. They're becoming very popular in the craft-keg scene and I decided then that they would be awesome for homebrew. The way I understood it was if you batch prime, the bag collapses and maintains the same carbonation all the way down, without the need for extra pressurisation. Is that right?

Anyway, I'm definitely interested so please stick me on the list :thumb:

Would this be them:
null_zpsf03c01f3.jpg

Popular in the bars and hotels of the south of France.

I have most of the setup now for the next brew to go in a grundy type barrel but one thing, how do you clean the line with a grundy or sankey fitting? do you have line cleaner in a barrel and connect as if it was beer?

Kinleycat said:
Would this be them:
null_zpsf03c01f3.jpg

Popular in the bars and hotels of the south of France.

They are the new Corny style ones you can get with grundy and sanky fittings. Need non safety spears or a keg washer to use them. Made in Italy. Very nice. Cant order direct a UK home brew shop as the UK rights.. GRRRR.. Seems like they 'over charge' at the moment when I got a quote.

D

Those don't look that different from these I got from Crusader. No rubber top or bottom, but that looks about it. Not sure what the price of those are but these were about £75, brand new.
2013-07-17

Indeed. I still think I'll just build up a small fleet of cornys and a couple of 9g casks for aging.

Shiny fever! :thumb:

Vossy1 said:
Cant order direct a UK home brew shop as the UK rights.. GRRRR
That's forward thinking :cool: but the Crusader kegs might well have capped the prices now!
Surprised that preventing buying from another EU supplier is legal under EU trade laws?
Remember how they tried to stop UK people buying Olympic tickets from Germany, it was ruled illegal, and it was then possible to get tickets that way. Any EU lawyers who are home brewers :D

Rhys said:
Vossy1 said:
Cant order direct a UK home brew shop as the UK rights.. GRRRR
That's forward thinking :cool: but the Crusader kegs might well have capped the prices now!
Surprised that preventing buying from another EU supplier is legal under EU trade laws?
Remember how they tried to stop UK people buying Olympic tickets from Germany, it was ruled illegal, and it was then possible to get tickets that way. Any EU lawyers who are home brewers :D

Not surprising if you have territorial distributors then the distributor is protected in law to stop the manufacturer selling direct.

graysalchemy said:
Not surprising if you have territorial distributors then the distributor is protected in law to stop the manufacturer selling direct.
Yes I agree and understand that, but I'm not so sure that it's OK to prevent purchase from other non UK stockists. This was the case with cars a few years ago, it was shown that EU dealers could and indeed had to sell to UK buyers even though UK dealers had distribution rights!

What Darcey was saying was that he couldn't order direct from the manufacturer, which is correct. However if a european distributor wouldn't sell to him then that may infringe EU laws though again if you have geographical distribution agreements european suppliers probably wouldn't be allowed to under the terms of their agreement.

graysalchemy said:
What Darcey was saying was that he couldn't order direct from the manufacturer, which is correct. However if a european distributor wouldn't sell to him then that may infringe EU laws though again if you have geographical distribution agreements european suppliers probably wouldn't be allowed to under the terms of their agreement.
Yes that sounds right but I'm not sure that horizontal distribution rights I.e territorial distribution agreements are either legal or enforceable under EU competition law. Theres a Slaughter and May guide On the web that seems to say this.
http://www.slaughterandmay.com/media/64 ... -rules.pdf
But then it also says there are lots of loop holes so we both may be right :cheers:
And I for one can't afford advice from Slaughter and May. ;)

Back