Efficiency

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An alternative view - just work out what actual efficiency you are getting, and add a bit more grain to compensate. It costs pence.

That's the problem with AG kits, they're made up to a recipe with as assumed efficiency, most brewers I know all get different efficiencies due to equipment, method etc. so they'll never all get the same OG advertised by the kit. You can spend a lot of time and effort chasing efficiency, like I did, when all you're saving is a few pence in grain costs. Just buy separate grains rather than kits and size accordingly.

I followed your advice and did a double brew day, added an extra kilo of MO into the mash along with a few handfully of oat husks , batch sparged as quickly as I could, it was the least stressfull day brewing ever, both turned out bang on the OG I should have got from the kit.

I also did another double brew day with an added kilo in each and spent over an hour sparging each, ending up a few points over expexted OG and they both taste great, I know which process I prefer.

I know I have a lot to refine and will over time, but I want to enjoy my brewing, not have it add to lifes stress and anxiety over results.

What if you're not chasing the kit ABV but that of Brewfather or similar?

Should I be adjusting the brewhouse efficiency depending on the grain bill perhaps?

Using the brewzilla I get about 70 until the bill closes in on 5kg after which it plummets to low 60s. Short of doing a reiterated mash I'm not sure what else I can change on my brewday; I use plenty of rice hulls regardless of grist, pause the mash every 20 mins to give it a good stir whilst recirculating and using the top plate which I'm gentle with to avoid compaction, I keep constant check on any temperature disparity between probe and top of the wort, I'm careful to avoid doughballs, I fly sparge pretty carefully (sometimes with an arm or sometimes without - usually the latter for big grain bills since it's only 1-2 litres).

I've started using my paddle to squeeze out the grains afterwards but after twenty mins I remove the tube despite it dripping occasionally - should I wait even longer? I buy grain premilled but never opt for fine.

My biggest beer as yet after about 15 brews is 8 percent but was aiming for 10.6 (for which I adjusted my batch size down to just 10L).

Frustrating! Once my homebrew club space has reopened I will try the same recipe again on some bigger kit I think.

What if you're not chasing the kit ABV but that of Brewfather or similar?

Should I be adjusting the brewhouse efficiency depending on the grain bill perhaps?

Using the brewzilla I get about 70 until the bill closes in on 5kg after which it plummets to low 60s. Short of doing a reiterated mash I'm not sure what else I can change on my brewday; I use plenty of rice hulls regardless of grist, pause the mash every 20 mins to give it a good stir whilst recirculating and using the top plate which I'm gentle with to avoid compaction, I keep constant check on any temperature disparity between probe and top of the wort, I'm careful to avoid doughballs, I fly sparge pretty carefully (sometimes with an arm or sometimes without - usually the latter for big grain bills since it's only 1-2 litres).

I've started using my paddle to squeeze out the grains afterwards but after twenty mins I remove the tube despite it dripping occasionally - should I wait even longer? I buy grain premilled but never opt for fine.

My biggest beer as yet after about 15 brews is 8 percent but was aiming for 10.6 (for which I adjusted my batch size down to just 10L).

Frustrating! Once my homebrew club space has reopened I will try the same recipe again on some bigger kit I think.

Exactly my problems, which were frustrating me, but as I said above, I am happy to add a kilo of grain to not have to stress over it, its supposed to be fun after all!
I wish there was a homebrew club round here, I have done searches but can't find anything.

Exactly my problems, which were frustrating me, but as I said above, I am happy to add a kilo of grain to not have to stress over it, its supposed to be fun after all!
I wish there was a homebrew club round here, I have done searches but can't find anything.

But where is the line drawn because is more grain not a stickier mash and does a stickier mash not result in poor efficiency?

Yeah lucky with the HB club too. It's a converted business unit/mutual brewing space with lots of decent kit which I wouldnt otherwise have access too. One of the other members also has a BZ (as does the HB club) and regularly complains about efficiency rather alot. At least it gives us something to blame it on!

But where is the line drawn because is more grain not a stickier mash and does a stickier mash not result in poor efficiency?

Yeah lucky with the HB club too. It's a converted business unit/mutual brewing space with lots of decent kit which I wouldnt otherwise have access too. One of the other members also has a BZ (as does the HB club) and regularly complains about efficiency rather alot. At least it gives us something to blame it on!

Interesting you mentioned the BZ, I have a Klarstein as well and get similar results so it's me or my process, as others on here like the Doc get perfect results from the same equipment.

Does the club rent the building?
Just wondering how much cost it would be to set up a club in this area.

I've only just discovered the brewhouse efficiency concept, but I guess if you check it out over a few brews you should soon see the efficiency you are getting. But is low efficiency (say low 60s) really that important? If your OG comes out a little lower than expected at pitching time, I guess, horror of horrors, you could always add a bit of sugar! :D And make a note to adjust your recipe for next time. I suppose the more sophisticated your equipment and techniques, the higher the efficiency you would reasonably expect. If I'd spent hundreds of pounds on kit, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a better efficiency than low 60s. With my very simple methods, I reckon I should be pretty happy to manage to achieve around 65%.

Latest posts

Back