Elderflower Champagne - How long 'till it's ready ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slate Miner

Reaction score
I made up a gallon of Elderflower Champagne back in the summer, fermenting out before bottling to swing top beer bottles adding 6 or 7 gms of priming sugar to each bottle. A couple of months on and it's now looking nice and clear and the sediment appears to be fairly well compacted at the bottle of each bottle.

I was wondering how long to leave it before opening the first bottle? Is now too early? Should I leave until at Xmas or would it be better next year? :hmm:

+1

I made my first batch too. Currently bulk maturing and will probably bottle in a few weeks to free up the DJs for some cider. Hoping to give it a taster once its conditioned, but am also interested in how long to keep it.

Last year we had our first bottle about 2 weeks after bottling, then the last with some vodka at Xmas, all were great. So I'd say dig in and try one!

I already drank about 6 bottles from this years production

started drinking them about 4 weeks ago

bloody fantastic too :thumb:

make sure to put them in the fridge for a few days
or you will disturb the yeast when you open it

Sometimes temptation does get the better of you. I tried a bottle of mine last week. Although nice, by Xmas it will be much better. I would take two or three from your stash and put em out of harms way until next summer just so you can tell the difference. Overtime you will be able to tell but sometimes, temptation gets the better of us! :drink:

Thanks for the replies, think I'll try a bottle in a couple of weeks time then depending on the results leave a few bottles for Xmas and the New Year. Will be interesting to see how it turns out as it's my first attempt at Elderflower Champagne. :cheers:

Back