Elderflower 'Champagne'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dearnley

Reaction score
This year's Champagne is pretty good - lovely colour, crystal clear, nice taste etc. But it doesn't have bubbles! I cleared using wine finings, could this have caused the problem? Is there anything I could do to rectify this problem in the remaining bottles?

What was the gravity when you bottled it ?
Usually it will still retain enough sugar left to self carbonate at around 1.010, if you leave it to ferment out
( to a stable reading over a couple of days below 1.000 ) you will need to add approx 1 teaspoon per litre..

It was stable below 1.000 before using finings. I added a generous teaspoon per each 1 litre bottle. Worrying that by clearing it I removed too much yeast and so no matter how much sugar I added I'd be struggling. Could it be that carbonation develops over time?

Are your bottles somewhere warm?, how long since you primed and are they airtight?

Are your bottles somewhere warm?, how long since you primed and are they airtight?
Hi, they started in the fridge, but after about a week when I found they weren't getting a good fizz going I moved them to a reasonably warm utility room. It's been primed for 13 days now. Bottles nicely sealed.

Hi, They should prime ok now theyre in the warmer area, the cold fridge would have stopped the yeast fermenting the priming sugar.If they still not carbing, you could drop a very small amount of yeast into each bottle,leave in the warm and let it do its thing.Let us know how things go. Ta

Hi @Dearnley , how did this turn out, Im going to bottle some elderflower champagne at the weekend,it took an age to ferment out (.990). Not sure if to add finings or just bottle prime a bit cloudy?

Hi @Dearnley , how did this turn out, Im going to bottle some elderflower champagne at the weekend,it took an age to ferment out (.990). Not sure if to add finings or just bottle prime a bit cloudy?
[/QUOTE
Well the wine tastes fine - light, fresh everything you could want of a wine ... everything that is except fizzy. The carbonation never came. With hindsight I'd not clear the wine as thoroughly as I did - it may have turned out a bit cloudy, but at least it would fizz. Live and learn. I'm on with blueberry wine now, but I'll give the bubbly another go next year.

athumb..Thanks for the reply @Dearnley , I'm going to let it clear naturally for a few days and then bottle as it is using 10g sugar per 750ml prosecco bottle, might be a little cloudy,but not really a problem.🍾

IMG_20200829_191951.jpg

Finally trying this years elderflower champagne, its very good but my label said is was pink...,I bottled white and pink at same time and must of mixed all the bottles up,! Cheers everyone, athumb..

Latest posts

Back