Elvis's Humble Brewcave

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
After buying my boiler, things are progressing.

First, check the frodge still works - then gi' it a good scrub.

Then clobber nails into pallets.

Attachments

• IMAG2071.jpg
    IMAG2071.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMAG2079.jpg
    IMAG2079.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 146
Then I got me some copper............

Not exactly elegant.

Attachments

• IMAG2082.jpg
    IMAG2082.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG2084.jpg
    IMAG2084.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 90
Great to see it ready to go. Best of luck with your brews. Is that a standard under counter fridge? And what size bucket?

Great to see it ready to go. Best of luck with your brews. Is that a standard under counter fridge? And what size bucket?

Standard-ish - always felt a bit pokey to me. In time I'll get something larger.....but I'd be pushing my luck if I tried that on now. (-:

32L bucket, I think.

Cool thanks. I’m getting a new shed soon and I’ll have space for an under counter brew fridge, so I’ll probably need a new FV. I currently use the Young’s 25 litre one which is very tall.

Picking up a little heater from Scrwfix tomorrow.

And this is the recipe so far: (28L boil, aiming for 20L in the FV).

Grain
3.3kg Maris Otter
0.3kg German Vienna

Hops
25g Atlas in the boil
50g Atlas + 50g Centennial to dry hop

Just using a bog standard ale yeast

Aiming for 4% abv ish.

Any comments or advice welcomed...:thumb:

I'll do a separate thread in the right 'room' for brewday pics.

The one thing I'll say is I don't make things easy for myself. I volunteered to cook tea, and then decided to brew up. By then it was getting decidedly nippy in the mancave.

Even so, I've managed to come up with something.

I.ve been looking at getting a fridge myself. Does it have to be a fridge or could I use a freezer instead ?

I was thinking that if I get a chest freezer, I might get two brews in at the same time.

I have a chest freezer for kegs, works just as well as the fermentation fridge.

Only problem is you have to lift the buckets up and over the chest freezer.

And they usual still have a box/shelf in them for the compressor so you will need to build a level shelf.

And any spillages are a PITA to clean out as even if you take the drain plug out and wash with a hose, you still have to dry it perfectly to prevent it going mouldy (wipe with bleach solution between brews helps too but that also applies to a fridge). Its less of an issue for kegs as they're completely sealed and its usually colder.

Basically a larder (tall) type fridge works best for fermenting but a chest freezer can be made to work.

Latest posts

Back