Elvis's Humble Brewcave

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bottling wand did make bottling 24 bottles of dark red ale a breeze. Very pleased with that.

Today I'm going all out on another brew, which got me thinking about the brewcave set-up here at Graceland.

I'll turn to ventilation later in the summer, I'm just about getting away with it (back door to garage open, and front up and over open to varying degrees).

The main issue is water run off. I have access to cold water, which is obviously essential. I don't have drainage. I'm kicking myself that when I liberated a good part of the old kitchen for use in the brewcave I wasn't sufficiently forward thinking enough to save the old sink.

Even mounted temporarily on a brewday it would be a great boon to be able to pour loads of water down the drain without having to carry it to the front of the house and the drain.

In the garage there is a manhole cover but I don't think I really want to mess with it.

I'm wondering if I pick up an old sink on fleabay, and run some piping to the front of the house (behind my shelves etc.) that might be a way of saving a lot of lugging. Or am I just being a proper old fanny?

Two beers in last night I was looking at bloody caravan sinks on ebay.

My instinct is to try and make something on the cheap - like get a £2 sink bowl from Poundstretcher and drill it, then fit a pipe - how hard (and leaky) could it be?

I’d say if you have the space, a sink would be a very useful thing to have. If you can get a double or a sink and a half cheaply then you could run off the hot water from chilling to save for cleaning and then once it’s colder or you have enough, run down the drain.

Ventured in tonight and horrified to find my main rack of shelving for bottles had toppled over. To be fair it was a former mini greenhouse, and I hadn't tethered it to the wall. So I was probably asking for it.

About 60 bottles went over. I think I lost 2.

Needs a proper clean up - maybe have to wait until the weekend.

Back