Europils malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I used to use this a lot replacing it for pilsner malt in my recipes without any noticeable difference. I've started brewing somewhere else with a different water supply which really highlights malt flavours. I made a best bitter with MO and vienna, it was amazing with smooth malty and biscuity flavours. My recipes using Europils now taste pretty bad. They are quite astringent, don't have the malt character expected with a lager/pilsner type malt, and I'm getting increasing amounts of DMS over time. Has anyone else experienced this?

In my next homebrew order I'm switching to Weyerman pilsner. If my water profile is highlighting malts I wanna take advantage of it.

I used to use this a lot replacing it for pilsner malt in my recipes without any noticeable difference. I've started brewing somewhere else with a different water supply which really highlights malt flavours. I made a best bitter with MO and vienna, it was amazing with smooth malty and biscuity flavours. My recipes using Europils now taste pretty bad. They are quite astringent, don't have the malt character expected with a lager/pilsner type malt, and I'm getting increasing amounts of DMS over time. Has anyone else experienced this?

In my next homebrew order I'm switching to Weyerman pilsner. If my water profile is highlighting malts I wanna take advantage of it.

I’ve done a couple of brews with Europils now but can’t say I’ve noticed much of a difference

It’s been my main base malt for my last few brews. All of them have turned out very well.

I've used Europils in a couple of kolsches, a gose, a saison, but left them out at room temperature to ferment. I'm drinking a temp controlled cali common fermented with skare, a kveik yeast. It's actually an awful lot better and I would say one of the best beers I've made in a long time. It's probably not the malt but the swing in temperatures during fermentation.

On a side note I found out after brewing it kveik lowers the pH of wort which increases perceived bitterness. This wasn't the most bittered beer ever with only 32 IBUs, but the bitterness is assertive. Any more and it would be a tad unpalatable.

I've used Europils in a couple of kolsches, a gose, a saison, but left them out at room temperature to ferment. I'm drinking a temp controlled cali common fermented with skare, a kveik yeast. It's actually an awful lot better and I would say one of the best beers I've made in a long time. It's probably not the malt but the swing in temperatures during fermentation.
Yeah I’ve had all of mine in my fern fridge, although you’ve got me worried now because my tube heater stopped working yesterday (I’m not sure when) so my saison dropped to 23 then I had to add the heat belt to get it back to 28. It had been in the FV a week though so hopefully it won’t have a negative effect on my beer.

Latest posts

Back