Excited beer....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongboy

Reaction score
Morning guys n dolls, not been on here in some months as a new Old english sheep dog puppy has stopped play at the moment:party:. So i have just started to drink my first batch of "nelsons revenge", this has been bottled and left for 4 months in the shed, it tastes nice, good body....but one little problem, When i pour into a glass it has a big head and continues to froth up for a good 3-4 miniutes only leaving me with half a glass when its settled down, now its not the glass as i have tried differnt ones, and i know the rest will be like this, but what lessons can i learn for next time, i.e. is it a problem with my brewing tech.....thanks in advance and have a great day

sounds like over carbonation - you could try putting it in the fridge for a bit before opening, that might calm it down a bit

How long was it in FV for and what was tbe FG ? If it was not fully fermented then this could cause over carbination. When you bottled it how much sugar did you add as to much will cause same problem.

I've had one or two like that. Chilling in the fridge is good. It will warm up in the glass. Also a very slow pour helps. And a tall Weizen glass like they use for frothy beers on the Continent.

My current batch of Northern Brown is doing the same thing - I opened a bottle at room temp. the other day and at first there was just a bit of bubbling, rapidly followed by foaming out of the bottle, down my arms, all over the carpet etc. left me with about half a pint of yeasty sludge, which admittedly I still drank and it tasted ok. But same bottles out of the fridge are fine with careful pouring.
Yes it's overcarbonation, but not due to overpriming. So fermentation must have stalled just before what should have been the endpoint and now the weather is warming up it's decided to finish off that last little bit of fermenting. Only about 15 bottles to go now so it's not really a problem.

Latest posts

Back