Fermentation Bucket Placement Issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andywilde16

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am hoping that I have placed this in the correct forum.

I am new to Homebrewing and am about to start later today (so that it is ready for Xmas) a Ritchies Simply Yorkshire Bitter kit. I have been told by "her whom I do not want to upset" that she does not want the fermentation bucket in the house due to overflow, smell etc etc :-?

The only option I have is the garage which is an integrated garage and the house is around 20 years old so fairly insulated. The temp in the garage at present is around 14 degrees and as I have no access to an immersion/belt heater I was wondering if wrapping the bucket up in blanket would suffice to keep the wort around the 20 degree mark.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated?

Thanks

Ideally you need a heat source, all a blanket will do is keep your beer at 14c and if the temp drops further won't work long term. Low temps stall the fermentation process unless you use a suitable yeast, most low temp yeasts are for brewing lager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I am new to Homebrewing and am about to start later today (so that it is ready for Xmas) a Ritchies Simply Yorkshire Bitter kit. I have been told by "her whom I do not want to upset" that she does not want the fermentation bucket in the house due to overflow, smell etc etc :-?

The only option I have is the garage which is an integrated garage and the house is around 20 years old so fairly insulated. The temp in the garage at present is around 14 degrees and as I have no access to an immersion/belt heater I was wondering if wrapping the bucket up in blanket would suffice to keep the wort around the 20 degree mark.

Thanks

Hi andywilde16 and welcome to the forum.

If you have a radiator in the garage this really does help as I place mine on a table with some polystyrene below(Oven packaging) and wrap a sleeping bag around them and this does work as the temps in NI are a lot lower than the mainland.
I have also recently purchased a reptile heater which is in sheet form and tried it out yesterday as I two brews fermenting and it slips between the two nicely with a steady temp of 20 degrees as it adjustable and low wattage.:thumb:

The garage does not have a radiator in it just the boiler and it is built into the house under one of the bedrooms.

Just wondering if I could move it into the house somewhere but "she who must be listened obeyed" is moaning about smells whilst it ferments and if the foam comes over the top during fermentation.

I only notice smells in the first couple of days. You can counteract it foaming over, place fv in a trug. You can heat a fv with a £13 aquarium heater and a water filled trug. Might be worth investing in that.

Ps - you said you were making this for Xmas. Generally beer won't be ready for at least 6 weeks especially if fermenting at low temperatures.

The garage does not have a radiator in it just the boiler and it is built into the house under one of the bedrooms.

Just wondering if I could move it into the house somewhere but "she who must be listened obeyed" is moaning about smells whilst it ferments and if the foam comes over the top during fermentation.

I can honestly say I've never noticed a smell unless I put my snoz on the airlock. I've also never had an overflowing FV, but this isn't to say that the latter doesnt happen.

Sometimes they do over flow but if you buy a big enough FV you'll be fine. But the smell is definetly not noticeable

You could also fit a blow off tube to a bottle/jug half full of sanitiser eliminating spillage and as for smells I've not noticed any.👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

My two I've got on atm. Blind spot behind the kitchen door,on trays,they did have blow off tubes at the start but swapped to airlock, no mess,no smell...no problem.

Cheers

Clint

20161130_153204.jpg

Hi there,

Thanks

Try this.....
How to Set up a Water Bath for your FV - The HomeBrew Forum
I have one at present set up in my garage with a brew on the go.
Water bath 19*C.
Garage was 8*C this morning.

PS I have just spotted your ambition to be drinking a beer you have not yet started by Xmas.
Unfortunately it is very unlikely that you will have a decent enough brew for Xmas if you start one now, in spite of what the instructions may suggest.
You will need at least one week to ferment out properly, another week minimum to carbonate your beer, and another week minimum for it to mature and condition and properly clear of yeast. The normal advice on here is 2+2+2 (not 1+1+1). You might just squeak in by New Years Eve but you need to get going pronto.
And you might find this useful too
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum

Last edited:
Thanks - only issue with the Water Bath is my FV has a tap fitted at the bottom for easy bottling!!

Guessing another room other than the garage would be advisable - would it be able to get it ready by Xmas does any think - the recipe says 8-10 days for fermentation and then 8 days in the bottle until drinking but will get better if left longer?

Sorry maybe a dumb question but as I say I am new at this!! :-?

Thanks - only issue with the Water Bath is my FV has a tap fitted at the bottom for easy bottling!!

Guessing another room other than the garage would be advisable - would it be able to get it ready by Xmas does any think - the recipe says 8-10 days for fermentation and then 8 days in the bottle until drinking but will get better if left longer?

The normal recommendation for two weeks fermentation covers normal strength beers and allows for the fermentation to completely finish and a period at the end for the yeast to clean up the beer before it is bottled and also start to settle out; the two weeks carbonation after priming is the most you will need, you might get away with one week; the conditioning period of two weeks is normally the minimum you would allow before you drink your beer, some light beer can be drunk this early but darker beers (like your Yorkshire Bitter kit) improve with keeping; that said you could drink it early but you should notice a marked improvement if you left it longer than the two week minimum, say one month or more.

Rule 1 of kit brewing, never follow the instructions.

2 weeks in fermenter
2 weeks carbing
2 weeks conditioning.

I have recently brewed a wilko wheat beer (new one can version) and it was lovely after 2 weeks in the bucket and only one week carbonation.

You could stand it on a couple of bricks if the tap is below the bottom of the bucket?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks - only issue with the Water Bath is my FV has a tap fitted at the bottom for easy bottling
Hi!
If it keeps beer in, it'll keep water out!
Seriously, a water bath with a fish tank heater would be your best bet, especially if it was covered to prevent heat loss.
Six weeks is the minimum for anywhere near decent beer. Sadly, it looks like John Smith will be visiting this Xmas!

If you don't think heating is going to be possible then I would suggest spending less than a couple of quid on a packet Wilko Ale Yeast, if you have a Wilko nearby.

This yeast is very reliable and also works well at lower temperatures. 14°c is probably at the bottom of the range but it will be happier than lots of other English ale yeasts.

The yeast you get with kit beers tends to be only just enough for the fermentation and if the temperature is low then it will almost certainly stall.

Wrapping it in a blanket will help initially as when it is actively fermenting it generates heat but as ferments slows down it cools and it may finish with a higher gravity than it should do.

It can smell a little if you stick your nose over the airlock.
I'm not the argumentative type, but if the wife told me that I can't do this, I'd be telling her that I live here too, get over it.

On a serious note, purchase fish tank heater. 1 watt per litre would be sufficient.
Starting from about £10 on ebay.

Latest posts

Back