Fermented too hot too fast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banksy

Reaction score
Hi there,

First attempt at making home brew wine and due to excessive eagerness I fewmented the wine too fast. I didn't know this was a bad idea. How much damage will I have caused, and is there anything I can do to compensate?

I'm using the 4 week California Connoisseur Merlot. I may hav addes slightly too much water in the initial dilution because my initial SG was near to 1.079. I used a youngs brew belt and kept the wine at between 24-26 C. It suggests that primary fermentation should be for 7 days and on day 8 I shouldsiphen off the wine for 2ndry stage. By day 6 the bubbler stopped bubbling. I tested the SG and it was 1.000. The instructions suggests it should be <1.010 by day 8.

Having moved the wine into a carboy there is very fine bubbling in the wine but no bubble movement. I don't think the bung was airtight and I have changed it.

So, should I ferment for the recommendend 12 days at 22 C, leave it longer or shorter, will it be super dry, and will I need to add sugar later?

Mainly, how much can I affect the final taste by fermenting at too higher a temperature and thus too quickly?

Thank you all for your suggestions. Regards, Courtney.

High temperatures can stress yeasties and make them produce some funky flavours, it's to do with things called esters.

However, yours has only been a little on the warm side and not ridiculously high, so I wouldn't expect it will have had too much effect.

If you've already racked, I would suggest you leave it in a slightly cooler place for a week or so.

Does your kit include a stabiliser? If so, at any time between adding that up to bottling you can sweeten to your own tastes if it has gone a bit too dry.

Latest posts

Back