Filter help required please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,

I am gradually upgrading my brewing and recently bought a plate chiller.
I've seen a few references to making sure that no large particles reach the plate chiller and I'm a little concerned how I might prevent this.

My boiler is a converted thermobox and it has a false bottom. I think this actually needs a bit of tinkering with as I am getting a lot of break material through.

Can anyone point me towards a suitable solution to prevent debris getting in to my plate chiller?
Preferably a ready made solution as I'm rubbish at stuff like this.

Thanks in advance, Mark

Fantastic, that should work a treat.

Edit - is £20 (delivered) a good price for a 1m x 1.2m of 40 mesh stainless??

markp said:
Is £20 (delivered) a good price for a 1m x 1.2m of 40 mesh stainless??
yeah Not bad at all . . .If you want to pass on some of that :whistle: :whistle:

Although for your needs a couple of bits 30 by 30 for 12 quid should be enough

Nice one Aleman.
I need to measure the false bottom when I get home tonight.....maybe buy a custom length from that last seller you linked.

If you wanted to split a sheet of the 40 mesh, I'd be pleased to do so.....but let me measure up first and see what would be needed.
This is the link to the 40 mesh http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-V ... 1e6289c09a

Right....I've ordered thus far, 1m of 6mm copper pipe to make the retaining ring and a 1.2m x 1m piece of stainless steel 40 mesh.

Not being very experienced at this sort of stuff I'm trying now to source suitable stainless steel nuts and bolts.
A lot of the ones I've found have Nylock nuts.....I assume these are the ones with the nylon inserts that 'grab' the steel bolt??
Is nylon a suitable material to stick in the bottom of a boiler??

Does anyone have a source for suitable SS nuts & bolts? Preferably one that I can buy 8/10 of them, rather than a pack of 144 :lol:

Thanks in advance.

Try the ebay Seller Aruncas I buy all my stainless bolts/nuts/ screws/ washers from him . . .Good value Excellent delivery

Aleman said:
Try the ebay Seller Aruncas I buy all my stainless bolts/nuts/ screws/ washers from him . . .Good value Excellent delivery

Hells bells.....that was quick Aleman.
Thanks very much :thumb:

Aleman said:
Much too big . . .you need to be looking at M3

The eBay Seller I mentioned was Aruncas Then try looking at Thse M3 Button Headed Bolts and Then Nuts and Washers from the same seller!!!

Told you I was rubbish at this :lol:
I couldn't even find the Aruncas shop at first.
Thanks again Aleman.......hopefully get the mod done on Friday night ready for a brewday on Saturday :thumb:

Latest posts

Back