Finings - do you use them and which one

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried Irish Moss and superkleer and isinglass. I popped a Protofloc tablet into a batch yesterday.

To date the only really effective agents I found to clear beer are patience and gravity.

Do you add finings to Stouts?

I cannot fully remember but I am sure I added whirlfloc to my wits, whether or not it was every really needed..

I've tried Irish Moss and superkleer and isinglass. I popped a Protofloc tablet into a batch yesterday.

To date the only really effective agents I found to clear beer are patience and gravity.

I've got tons of Irish moss and EVERY single brew I forget to toss it in. But most of my beers are pretty clear.
Been toying around with getting one of those 1 micron beer filter.

I've got tons of Irish moss and EVERY single brew I forget to toss it in. But most of my beers are pretty clear.
Been toying around with getting one of those 1 micron beer filter.

Forgetting the Irish Moss was why I tried superkleer as you can put in in the fermentor. It was not worth the trouble!

Gelatin has always worked well for me. I tend to add it when I transfer the beer to the bottling bucket and leave it for several hours.

Protafloc claims to extend the shelf life of beer, I'm guessing the others do the same, so definitely worth adding regardless of the beer style.

It extends the shelf life by getting rid of the proteins that cause the haze, the beer will still turn hazy with age if these are left in and most people wouldn't want an old hazy bottle of beer. It's really a physical, visible, instability rather than a taste or chemical change.

Latest posts

Back