First All Grain BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwigaz

Reaction score
Hi, first can I say I have found this forum quite informative and got me interested in home brewing again.
I had a go at AG on Saturday and was quite pleased with how it turned out.

I used Maris otter Simpson pale 5kg. and motueka hops 50g at 60mins and 50g at 10 mins.

right, my question is it’s been fermenting from Saturday night (21st) but when I transferred wort after chilling in to fermentation vessel I did not filter. Everything went in from the stockpot, and I mean everything!
Should I have filtered/ strained it before going to FV?
Should I consider racking now to another fermenter or just leave be?
Hops were pellets by the way, just chucked in loose.

I did the same on my first BIAB and was worried but at the end of 2 weeks fermentation I left the FV overnight in the garage to 'Cold Crash' and the beer was amazingly clear. Well as clear as a dark beer can be.

I didn't leave the hops in though as you say you have, I put them in a small muslin bag during the boil. But you'll be fine just transfer to another FV or sterilised container when your done and keep an eye on the Syphon to stop dragging anything over.

I was primarily worried that the hops might start to impart too much bitterness or go off? If that is possible in initial fermentation time?!
I was planning to cold crash anyway so looks like I’ll just have to be careful when filling bottles

My fermenter is a brewferm one with the tap. Should I use this to bottle from with supplied tool? Or will it likely get blocked or be below level of the trub?

Am I better siphoning into a bucket so I can avoid the trub and batch prime at the same time instead?

The boiling process creates the bitterness - once you have finished boiling they will add no more bitterness

I do not know the particular hops you mention but the most they might do at this stage is add a bit more hoppy aroma by being left in there (although I think unlikely)

As Pezza says transfer to another (conditioning) vessel once fermentation has ceased and this should leave any hops and trub behind. Then either syphon off from the conditioning vessel and bottle from there or clean your fv and pour the wort back into it your fermenter so you can bottle from there

I am a firm believer that wort needs time to condition i.e one week for every 10 units of OG over 1000. In other words an OG of 1050 would need 5 weeks in a conditioning bucket before bottling (and then secondary conditioning time)

All depends on how long you can wait to sample your masterpiece

Hi, first can I say I have found this forum quite informative and got me interested in home brewing again.
I had a go at AG on Saturday and was quite pleased with how it turned out.

I used Maris otter Simpson pale 5kg. and motueka hops 50g at 60mins and 50g at 10 mins.

right, my question is it’s been fermenting from Saturday night (21st) but when I transferred wort after chilling in to fermentation vessel I did not filter. Everything went in from the stockpot, and I mean everything!
Should I have filtered/ strained it before going to FV?
Should I consider racking now to another fermenter or just leave be?
Hops were pellets by the way, just chucked in loose.
Don't worry you'll be fine as it will all drop to the bottom,the only thing is it may taste a bit grassy when young but will clear with conditioning.I've done this on many occasions with no issues.

I’ve just measured the gravity @ 1.012
Started at 1.062
Thinking it might be nearly done?
Airlock had stopped bubbling when I got home.
I used wyeast 1056 in the smack pack

I agree with Rod

I would say that it needs at least two days at the same SG to be able to conclude that fermentation has ceased - guessing that it is your recipe

If it is someone else's recipe they should have included a target SG

Any way - do enjoy the fruits of your labour! - by the sound of it about 6.55 ABV

Yes that’s what I make it. I chilled the sample down I took and it was lovely! I was expecting it to take around 10 days. I’ll leave it till the weekend and take another reading then.
Patience is a virtue....

SG down to 1.009 now.
Question. Can I start a cold crash for 3-5 days or should I still leave it?

SG down to 1.009 now.
Question. Can I start a cold crash for 3-5 days or should I still leave it?
Impatience has got you but try to resist as its only been a week.Leave it for another 4 or 5 days and let the yeast finish up then check again and if still at 1.009 cold crash for a few then package it whether bottle or keg.

Latest posts

Back