First All Grain Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattodell

Reaction score
Hi all, I completed my first all grain brew day yesterday using the son of punkie ipa kit from the malt miller.
All went well apart from when it came to measuring the OG. The recipe called for an OG of 1059 but I ended up with 1071. The batch volume ended up at exactly 19l so was spot on.
Any suggestions as to what could have gone wrong and to how to correct it in the future?
Its currently sitting in the fermenter, so guess I'll just end up with a stronger abv!
Would it be a case of adding a certain amount of extra water after measuring the OG to try and bring it down to target?

As long as your hydrometer is calibrated, the wort was stirred before you took the sample, and that it was at 20C or thereabouts, then there are a couple of things that may have went "wrong".

Firstly your efficiency might have been way higher than expected. For 5kg of grain in a 19L batch at 1.071 OG that works out about 85% brewhouse efficiency, which isn't unheard of but it is definitely high. Something like 70-75% is usually more typical.

Secondly, if the recipe kit you used was this one, then you're aware that it's enough for two 19L batches right?

Secondly, if the recipe kit you used was this one, then you're aware that it's enough for two 19L batches right?
giphy-downsized.gif

Latest posts

Back