First Brew has started

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamduvern

Reaction score
After 25 years out of the game the first brew is in the FV
I have opted for a Better Brew Yorkshire Bitter for my first attempt and followed the instructions to the letter as well as cleaning and sterilising everything TWICE
So fingers crossed :pray:

The kits are pretty easy, or at least I've found them to be easy since I started brewing.

Did you use brew enhancer, dry malt extract, or sugar as the extra fermentable?

As said above, get another FV and get the next lot going, it's important to stay ahead of the drinking curve ;) :D

I have already ordered 2 more FV and another barrel and Im extracting some honey from my hives later this week so their may be a barrel of mead on the go this time next weekend

I used brew enhancer after doing a bit of research and we will see how it goes I think that I will try the same kit with sugar and see how they compare then start mixing and matching

Sugar doesn't do too well with beer kits.

I made my first kit with it, I'd not done enough research to know better, and shortly afterwards made the same kit with brew enhancer.

The second go was less alchoholic, but had much better flavour, and the sort of 'lingering' taste that you get with a decent ale. As such I'm only using DME or brew enhancer with my beer kits now :) It might cost slightly more, but when you consider the difference in cost between home brew and super market beer it's still well worth the effort.

The brew has been in a corny keg for about a week now and 5 litres bottled and Im sat here with the first pint in front of me and even if I say so myself its not half bad!! a good head just the right amount of fizz a good colour but a little cloudy and if it was served to me in a pub I would be happy with it the only fly in the ointment is with the bottled beer in all of the excitement I FORGOT TO PRIME THE BOTTLES
They have been sat in the fridge is it to late to save them??

Overall for a first effort 7 out of 10

Second one started today a Coopers Lager my better half is looking forward to this one if it turns out as good as the first one I can look forward to a few brownie points!!

hi , just prime bottles and leaving at room temp for 2 weeks then fridge for a few weeks more , it should be fine .

Back