First brew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOEYLOVE89

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,
Having ago at my first brew tomorrow, ive recieved my kit which includes:
Copied from site.
Top Tap King Keg Barrel
25 ltr (40 pint) Fermentation Bin
Paddle
CO2 Injection System
10 x 8grm CO2 Bulbs
Syphon Tube
Hydrometer
Thermometer
100grm Steriliser.
So obviously ive got the tools just not the experience.
I think im stepping to far infront with this next question.
Where do i find information to brew my own custom beer.
ingredients + meassures etc.?

I'm new to this brewing lark as well, and judging from the kit you've got I'd suggest doing a 1 or 2 can kit first of all. There are loads you can pick from, there's a sticky on reviews of all the kits on this forum, and see which one takes your fancy. I opted for the Woodforde's Wherry first of all, debating between that and the Wilko Golden Ale, and I'm so glad I made the choice I did. It was simple to do, and I've just transferred to my pressure barrel....it smells and tastes lovely already!

If you wanted to go for a more in depth brew approach, you can always look in to brew in a bag (BIAB) stuff though you may need some extra equipment....it's something I'd like to look in to in the future!

There are 2 can kits these days that come with extras such as hops to put in during fermentation, and try different yeasts, choose your own hops to put in etc. There are recipes you can follow, a quick google search brings up loads of information. But my advice first of all, would be to do a kit...Though I'm sure there are more informed people who could steer you to a better course of action.

Rick

Cheers guys,
i will be having ago with a kit first, ( as in just to get used to it )
But my main target is to make my own, but is this where all grain comes in?
I ask this because my local pub which i will not state the name of has agreed to sell my beer as a guest. only to see what people to think.
as my kit goes, i know i can use it for all grain, (if im using that right)
does this type of brewing differ.
Boiling pot,
I mean im finding it difficult to find instructions of this proces,
the starter kit process seems to be everywhere, nearly as simple as adding the can of malt water and yeast, leaving it for days and then enjoying it.
but the other brewing i am struggling with.
as i said above, its the recipe to make it my own im finding difficult to understand.

Welcome to the forum.
I would say get your kit right first then look at experimenting.
Plenty of googling and search threads should give info on how to adapt kit or make your own extract recipe.
Then you can progress to all grain and get bitten by the bug
Good luck and happy drinking

Thanks very much,
If I'm understanding this info correctly could someone just answer me this one.
if im brewing my own style of beer/ale.
forget the measuremnts.
But would i be buying
brewing grain/malt
hops to flavour of my choice.
obviously boiling it etc.
then adding to fermentation with yeast and brewing sugar

That looks, albeit very simply, right to me. As has been said there is a lot of information on google, and youtube has been invaluable for step by step guides so it might be worth trawling through there. Maybe see if there's an all grain equivalent to a beer you already like and seeing if someone has replicated it to copy their recipe.

But small steps my friend haha, get your kit brewing down to an art first (sterilize...sterilize...sterilize) and take what the kits say about time ready to drink with a hefty pinch of salt....some of the kits say ready to drink within 2 weeks, as many of the guys here will assure you...its not!! My first kit has spent best part of 2 weeks alone in the FV, and I intend to leave for at least a week in the pressure barrel conditioning in the warm and then somewhere cool for at least another 2 weeks before I dig in. Beer takes time to mature, good beer takes even longer.

Thanks again. always one aint there causing trouble.
As you mentioned i will be brewing a malt extract kit first.
cheaper than paying 3 pound a pint.

But will be doing the mashing version too. looks a bit more tricky but hey ho. ITll be mine........

Check this out:

http://beerandwinejournal.com/copper-3g-ag/

That blog is written by a really experienced brewer, who writes for Brew Your Own magazine in America He also explains very clearly on the blog how to make beer in different ways (extract, partial mash and all grain) in your kitchen. All the recipes are tried and tested and the methods work.

Cheers guys,
i will be having ago with a kit first, ( as in just to get used to it )
But my main target is to make my own, but is this where all grain comes in?
I ask this because my local pub which i will not state the name of has agreed to sell my beer as a guest. only to see what people to think.
as my kit goes, i know i can use it for all grain, (if im using that right)
does this type of brewing differ.
Boiling pot,
I mean im finding it difficult to find instructions of this proces,
the starter kit process seems to be everywhere, nearly as simple as adding the can of malt water and yeast, leaving it for days and then enjoying it.
but the other brewing i am struggling with.
as i said above, its the recipe to make it my own im finding difficult to understand.

To produce your own style of beer then you would 'probably' need to go all grain.
I am surprised your local pub has agreed to sell your beer as I am sure this would be illegal unless you were registered.

Latest posts

Back