First cider advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all!

So far I have only made beer, but over weekend I inadvertently revealed to the Mrs that after bottling the APA currently in the fermenter I will have 92 bottles of beer :confused1:She was less than impressed.

Therefore, since summer is coming, I've decided February's brewday will be my first turbo cider. I figure it'll be ready by summer, and since she likes cider too she can't really complain.

I need to get some bottles from get er brewed for the APA, so while I'm at it I'll order some Mangrove Jack's MO2 "craft cider" yeast, and some yeast nutrient.

I plan to make 5 or 6 litres using Asda apple juice, since that claims to be 100% apple juice not from concentrate, with just an antioxidant added, which I figure won't harm the yeast.

I'm aiming for a sparkling dry cider, something crisp and refreshing with just a little residual sweetness. Think something like an Aspalls Premier Cru. The Mrs likes some sharpness but there is a limit, and I don't want a teeth-drying amount of tannins in there. Can anyone advise how much tea and acid (I'll probably use lemon juice) I should add to achieve that sort of style?

Is there anything else I need to be ordering from get er brewed while I'm at it? I know some people add pectolase?

Ta.

Suggest you look through this recent thread, a few members have commented including myself, and there is also a recipe.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/hello-this-is-llantwit-major-calling.75546/
Then there are multiple posts on making a TC in the Wine and Cider Forum in which I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.
And, based on my very limited experience, if anyone can produce a TC that even remotely resembles Aspalls Premier Cru then I :hat:to them

I realise that's ambitious :) I just needed an example of the sort of level of acid and tannin I wanted, as i have no idea how much tea and lemon juice to add in order to replicate that.

I've read that thread, that's what gave me the idea. And while I realise there's recipes floating around, I have very little idea of what people are aiming for with those, and I don't want very acidic scrumpy or super-sweet teenager's fizz!

Last edited:
Back