First Gold - Marmalade Belgian taste - infection?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a historic (Edwardian) IPA recipe that usually has a fairly standard Fuggles / EKG hop bill, but as a single hop beer with First Gold.

About 40 IBU / 5.5% ish with most of the IBUs at the start of the boil, some at 15 mins for flavour, and then the rest of a 100g pack as an 80° hop stand.

It's got this marmalade thing going on, but also a very slight, what I would call, Belgian twang that you often get in a triple. It is very slight; I can't tell if it's just the tangy and of the marmalade taste.

Does that make any sense? Are First Gold hips like this, or might I have an infection (there is a possibility that this cornie was the one that I used for a Belgian ale with MJ triple yeast, but because of that, I'm wondering if I'm tasting things that aren't there)

I have a 100g sitting waiting to use. Any ideas I also have some EKG. I was thinking an English pale or maybe a darker ale. I also have some redx malt

You could try clibit's Orkney Dark Island clone for a darker beer - it uses EKG and First Gold. It is in the Completed and Brewed section on around page 3 or 4, I remember mine working out well.

Back