First of the year

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Onto my third AG brew and first of 2016. Making a Butty Bach clone. I have no idea how it will pan out as my t'internet searches gave me a couple of recipe choices so I ended up going off piste a bit.

Anyway, 23 L in the FV yesterday from the following:-

4.2 Kg Maris Otter
0.2 Kg Flaked barley
01 Kg Crystal malt

90 mins mash in 14.25 L water (heated to 76C)
Temperature mash at start = 65C and at end 61C. Hmmm OK I think.
2 step Batch sparge with 8.3 and then 18 L water at 76C

46.6 g East Kent Goldings - 90 min boil
46.6 g Fuggles - 5 min boil
29.8 g Bramling Cross 5 min boil

I ended up with about 22 L cooled wort in the FV which I was happy with. I added 200g Wheat malt at this point also - although I wasn't sure when I should add that. It didn't dissolve great in my cooled wort so perhaps I should have added it earlier?

Original SG was 1.046 which was pretty much bang on what I was hoping for.

I pitched with White labs WLP002 - unfortunately this had been sitting around in the kitchen for 4 days at room temperature because I forgot to fridge it:doh: Hoping it will be fine.

All in all, a successful day and fingers crossed for a nice beer.

Nice one, let us know how it turns out.

I'm not far from Wye Valley and did a brewery tour last summer, they had a lot of Target and Celeia hops plus 3 other varieties: I think one was Willamette. Worth harvesting their yeast from bottle conditioned brews if you can.

So, it's out of the primary FV with sg of 1.012 and into the secondary FV for a week. All good so far. Darrellm - I haven't thought about harvesting yeast from bottled conditioned ales before. Perhaps i should consider for future brews? That would bring a whole new aspect to brewing.

I managed to get hold of a bottle of Butty Bach to do a side by side comparison. I have to say that i am surprised at how close the recipe i used was to the original. My beer was slightly more amber in colour and had a slightly fuller body with a more malty taste. Hop notes and sweetness were spot on.

I actually brewed this as for my brother in law's 60th. He was well chuffed with it.

I think it was more malty and fuller bodied because of the WLP002. I haven't used this yeast before but I've read it's got a malty profile. If you decide to make this again, Butty Bach's has the Wye Valley primary yeast strain in it so you can culture it up from a bottle (on my list of yeast's to culture up) and possibly get even closer

Back