First time Belfast brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubofo

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time brewer just getting started from Belfast.

Been thinking about brewing for a few years now and finally went and got myself set up with a Young's Brew Buddy kit (lager).
Personally I'm an ale drinking (fav: English ales and Belgian wheats). I am hoping to get nicely involved with brewing and plan to move to all grains etc. after a few brew kits, maybe 6 months time :rofl: .

So far I have got myself:

Young's Brew Buddy
|- 25lt bucket
|- basic hydrometer
|- sterilising agent
Basic syphon (with tap)
Plastic paddle
Bubble chamber airlock
Brew belt (house is averaging 15*C, quite cold)
Caps + 2 handle capper
Small funnel

I had my first brew day yesterday: sterilised, boiled kit can, mixed with 1kg fermenting sugar, 25lt Sainsbury's caledonian water (I don't trust my tap water), Young's kit yeast - I think it worked out at 1036 OG (not sure about hydrometer setup temp and room temp) :wha:

I have notice that the Young's bucket has a slight leak around the lid. Pressure does build, but the airlock doesn't seem to bubble (about 20hrs in so far) water has moved to one side but just sits there :wha: . The way the bucket is designed means there is a slight gap where the metal handle meets the side/top of the bucket.

So does anybody have any advice/tips for first-timer?
Clear/coloured bottles? (plan on using empty Badger's pint bottles, mmmm Badgers Hopping Hare... :drink: )
Move straight to primed bottles after one week in bucket or move to other container first then bottles? (I only have the 5x 5lt water containers available)
Keep bucket out of sunlight?
Keep syphon tube at bottom of bottle to prevent air mix? Or not really matter?
Preference of sugar for priming?
...Any other little snippits of knowledge you may have and would like to pass on :drunk:

EDIT: Oh one more thing...... I have the bucket in my bedroom (shared rented house) as I can keep an eye on it and regulate the temp. Are there any problems with gases? I'm not gonna die from anything escaping out of the bucket lol :(

hi and welcome , no probs from gases lol maybe a little smelly at times is the worst it gets ,brown bottles are the best as they protect against sunlight which will harm your beer so keep out of direct sunlight including fermentation bucket , if you have a 2nd ferment bucket transfer brew to this when brew done for a day or 2 to get less sediment in bottles and when bottling avoid splashes and bubbles by putting hose in the side of the bottle when filling , sugar fine but some (and me ) use spray dried malt g for g instead but not much difference use around 5g per litre the keep bottles in warmth for around 2 weeks then move to somewhere cool/cold to condition , i think that was all you questions best advice is wait wait and more waiting without messing with your brew :thumb:

Thanks for getting back so quickly pittsy.

I'm glad I'm not gonna slowly die in my sleep lol, actually quite like the smell coming from it so far - kind of sweet.
Is the slight leak gonna be a problem, or is it fine as long as the CO2 does build up inside the bucket? Does a leak during fermentation mean a flat beer?
Also, like I mentioned, the house is quite cold ~15*C so is this gonna be a problem when it comes to bottling and keeping warm for a fortnight? (no hotpress)

Have the brew belt working on this, keeping her at ~20*C (Young's lager from Brew Buddy kit)

Some pics!!

Google Album: https://picasaweb.google.com/116794079463817651145/HomeBrewYoungSLagerFirstBrew

First Brew Day: the new kit sterilising
IMG_20120322_145529.jpg

First Brew Day: mixing the extract + sugar
IMG_20120322_153857.jpg

First Brew Day: topped up and ready for first OG measure and adding yeast
IMG_20120322_154255.jpg

First Brew Day: all mixed and cooking away
IMG_20120322_164933.jpg

First Brew Day: 25hrs in with a 1 inch head
IMG_20120323_172704.jpg

First Brew Day: LOL the makeshift cover/blanket
IMG_20120323_173440.jpg

all looks great there try to leave it well alone , no peeking for around 7 days or more then test it with a hydrometer (if no more airlock action )for 2 days running (remember to sterilize each time ) and only when stable transfer to 2nd vessel (if you want less sediment in bottles) in 2nd vessel no heat added , this is so sediment will drop to bottom of vessel , when you have bottled, one way to get bottles up to a warm temp you could get a large plastic tray and a aquarium heater (around £15) put bottles in and fill with water then turn heater to around 20C for around 10 days (i do this if bottling as my house ain't too warm (cold at night) also its easier to batch prime that means you have to sterilize 1 st vessel again , boil around a pint of water (for a 23 litre brew) and add 150/200g of sugar and boil for around 2 to 5 mins then let cool to room temp , add this to first vessel then transfer brew to 1st vessel (making sure not to splash ) then your ready to bottle , this way insures all bottles get the same amount of sugar as if doing each bottle its around half a tea spoon and teaspoons differ in size so best to weigh it and batch prime. p.s gas escaping from your fermenting vessel at this stage will have nothing to do with your beers fizz as it will be flat anyway when done until you prime etc :thumb:

I seem to have myself a problem: my 'head' (krausen?) has disappeared. It vanished late last night (at around 32hrs mark).

I gave the bucket a little rotation to try to give it a little 'stir' inside just in case the yeasties weren't getting at some of the sugar.
There does seem to be some fermentation happening (I peeked inside and seen fizzing) also my airlock does seem to still be getting filled (I had to press the lid down and force gas out because my airlock never gets to the point where it releases itself (bubbles)
It has filled again with gas quickly, to the bursting point of bubbling (as always it just stays like that though til I force it to release)

....do I have a stuck fermentation? Or is this the way it goes - do I now just let it do it's thing for a week?
Also I jut put the brew belt back on in case it was a heat issue.

-------------------------------------------
To answer pittsy's previous

• uh...I already had about 5 'little peeks' under the lid yesterday just t check she was going OK (I waited until a full gas build-up / bulging lid until I opened it).[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  • Should I try the hydrometer now the krausen has gone? [roughly 48hrs now][/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  • Wouldn't leaving it in the primary for another week have the same affect as transferring to an intermediary for settling? Or is it about getting it into a cleaner environment for settling for a week?[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  • I have some christmas lights that I could maybe use to bring the temps up if needed. Though I can't monitor this while at work...[/*:m:36wvtjvt]

So for a controlled batch prime I should:
  1. leave primary bucket to settle for a week (or until hydrometer has stabilised for 2 days)[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  2. transfer to an intermediary vessel (sterilised) for how long? - (would my 5x 5litre PET water bottles suit?) transfer with as little air mix as possible[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  3. sterilise the primary bucket again[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  4. make primer mix
    • boil 1 pint of water (for 23 litres brew)[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
    • add 150/200g sugar[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
    • boil until dissolved[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
    • let cool to room temp[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
    [/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  5. add sugar primer to primary bucket[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  6. transfer settled brew back to primary bucket (with no air mix)[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  7. once transferred to primary bucket begin to bottle (with no air mix)[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  8. once bottled and capped, leave in warm (18-20*C) dark place for 10 days[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  9. move bottles to cold dark place for 2 weeks ??[/*:m:36wvtjvt]
  10. IMPORTANT!! sit back and enjoy your home brew :cheers: [/*:m:36wvtjvt][/list:eek::36wvtjvt]

Does this all sound about right? Sorry for asking so many questions I just don't want this to go wrong. Plus I like to pick brains and learn whatever I can :)

Yes you got it , it all sounds like a lot of work but it gets easy after a free brews done , there's a saying here " relax h :cheers: ave a beer "

UPDATE: OK so after turning the brew belt on again and giving her 2 really good swirls (lid closed and sealed, just swirling the bucket) she now seems to be active again. In fact: the airlock is actually bubbling over......YAY! The first time I have heard it do this in near 48 hrs! :clap:

Fingers crossed all goes well....

Wow done my first SG today...she is at 1012 already from 1032ish (this is almost exactly 48hrs in)
(not sure as couldn't reliably check OG room temp or wort temp, think it was room: 16-17 | wort: 22-24 | hydrometer: 1032)

Had a little taste too...... a little fruity, almost ale-ish (it's a lager start kit) can also taste an amount of alcohol in it too :thumb:
Can't wait to try this in another week (will check SG every 2 days though)

side note: could an admin maybe move this thread to Brew Days section? I think this has moved past an introduction and into a brew day thread lol

OK so this has finished (both the brewing and the drinking! lol)
Thought I would revisit and post some remaining pics.

Overall the beer wasn't bad, a little bit of a fruity hint (probably because I couldn't regulate the temps - came home to find it was 26* one day). The other guys in the house thought it tasted like Miller to begin with.

Really not a lot of carbonation in this at all. I did half batch in clear Badger's bottles (1/2 teaspoon) and half in brown bottles (3/4 teaspoon). I was using brewing sugar. I would definately recommend 3/4 teaspoon at minimum probably a bit more.

Again, all these pics (and more) are available in online album: https://picasaweb.google.com/116794079463817651145/HomeBrewYoungSLagerFirstBrew

IMG_20120331_160734.jpg

IMG_20120325_230802.jpg

IMG_20120331_184349.jpg

IMG_20120331_184233.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

IMG_20120403_180439.jpg

IMG_20120405_182621.jpg

IMG_20120413_214403.jpg

IMG_20120415_193854.jpg

IMG_20120418_211006.jpg

IMG_20120418_215734.jpg

IMG_20120428_190844.jpg

hi there

always good to find another belfast brewer! where bouts do you live? im in finaghy/s belfast area

just moved over to AG - it was the best decision ever

if you ever wanna trade some beer give me a shout!

matthew

Hey Matthew,

Currently living in Annadale (rented/shared accom.) .
Thinking about moving over to AG in about 6 months time once I've had a few brews under my belt ;)

Just started a Woodforde's Wherry there on Sat, can't wait for this to finish it smells amazing! (well, at the start - it smells like rotten farts now it's fermenting :lol: )
pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/116794079463817651145/HomeBrewWoodfordeSWherry

There is another guy on Google+ I talk to who homebrews, does some nice looking cysers and things
(profile: https://plus.google.com/107335329384379566533)

Curiously, where do you get your stuff from? I currently go to a wee homebrew/naturals shop on Upper Newtownards Road.

Keith

yeah

id love to support that shop but their options are very limited. i use http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/. £5 shipping wotever the weight. the 2 mainland sites i used messed up my orders both times

if you ever want to come over for an ag brew and do one with me before you buy stuff that could work

matthew

NI brewers unite!

I have been tempted on many occasions to try and start and NI based homebrew internet company as I am fed up with paying through the nose for P&P. I have found the homebrew company to be inconsistant at times but it beats paying a fortune!

I have recently been let down getting copper piping delivered to make a chiller as 'we don't deliver to NI'. Pain in the bum!

Great, thanks Matthew I'll think a out that.
Also that website looks pretty good for stuff, I'll keep it in mind. Might still venture to the local one for the odd thing, support the locals ya know :thumb:

Good to see some NI brewers here :drunk:

Got a query: I noticed that this new Wherry gives off a seriously eggy smell, came home from work today and thought someone had emptied their guts in my room lol. The last Young's lager didn't smell half as bad, actually it was kind of sweet/nice

Hey I'm another first time Belfast brewer! I have bought the same Youngs BrewBuddy kit that you have just made. I got it from our only home brew shop, Natures Way, on the Newtownards Rd- is that were you bought yours??

Just a quick question about your priming sugar- did you add the sugar directly to the bottles? That is what I plan to do and was wondering how much you recommend to use? I am planning to measure a teaspoon/half teaspoon exactly each time using a sliding measure thing my mum got from Lakeland! lol. But basically I'm happy I can get the sugar weights exact in each bottle by using this method but I'm not sure how much to use for my 500ml bottles- 1/2, 3/4 or 1 tsp??

Advice greatly recieved!

Hi Neil,

Yeah I got mine as a starter kit along with a load of other accessories from Natures Way.
I would definitely recommend forking out another £15 for one of those fish-tank thermometers!

Yeah I primed the bottles for mine as I didn't have a secondary vessel. Again I would recommend using the thermometer to regulate the temps as mine ended up a little sweet and only lightly carbonated. Also I would say no less than 3/4 teaspoon (the kit says 1/2) - I would even consider going a little touch more but maybe with the right temps 3/4 would do nicely. Don't bother with brewing sugar, just get your normal red pack granulated sugar for priming.

Get to Tesco, purchase a set of measuring spoons (metal) for about £2 I think.

Tips from my mistakes:
- get the temps correct and constant (get thermometer)
- once it's made don't poke at it, let it ferment
- add a little extra priming sugar than stated
- leave it for 1.5 - 2 times longer than the box says (both fermenting and racking)
- don't drink it all (sampling) before it's ready - I only had half left by 4 weeks when it was at it's best
- get a turkey baster!! (makes taking hydrometer readings much, much easier)
- sterilise, sterilise, sterilise EVERYTHING
- for the Young's kit bucket....don't worry if the airlock doesn't seem to look very active - I notice some slight gas leaks around the lid at the handles (it still ferments very well, just a little quiet)

Back