First Timer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm Martin from Wales and have decided to try this for the first time.

From what I have read this isn't the perfect season to start but it still can be done.

I've started with an Admiral's Reserve kit. Put it into the fermenatation bin yesterday and it's been bubbling away quite happily all night.

Again from what I have read on here the plan is to leave it fermenting in the kitchen for around 2 weeks, bottle it with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar each and leave it in the kitchen for 2 weeks then move it into the cooler dark garage for 2 weeks at least to clear?

I used a hydrometer and allowing for temperature (roughly) it started at 1.047.

Any glaring errors my plan has or any tips would be gratefuly recieved.

Nice forum glad to have found it.

Welcome to the Forum.
You are doing fine.
Avoid opening the FV every day to see if its fermenting, but take a reading about day 10 to see if its finished, i.e the SG is where predicted or around 1.010. If it has finished leave it for another two days then move to a cool place for a further two days if you have one, but no problem if you don't. After about four weeks from bottling try your first one. It should be carbed, clear and drinkable, but may benefit from further conditioning . My guess is it will be noticeably better after about eight weeks on from bottling.
You might find this useful
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/

Welcome to the Forum.
You are doing fine.
Avoid opening the FV every day to see if its fermenting, but take a reading about day 10 to see if its finished, i.e the SG is where predicted or around 1.010. If it has finished leave it for another two days then move to a cool place for a further two days if you have one, but no problem if you don't. After about four weeks from bottling try your first one. It should be carbed, clear and drinkable, but may benefit from further conditioning . My guess is it will be noticeably better after about eight weeks on from bottling.
You might find this useful
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/
Ah great I'd not seen that yet - many thanks for the help.

Thanks all. Started off a Solomon Grundy white wine as well today.

Going to order some kind of Belgian pale ale next I think. Any suggestions?

Quick question if I may. When the ale is ready for bottling is it better to make a solution of water and sugar to pour in to the bottles or funnel sugar in from the bag?

Right. Ale is bubbling every 60 seconds or so something like that so happy enough there.

Having had time to read more of this forum I now understand what Racking is. The instructions in the kit didn't mention it is required but I've decided to do it anyway as it seems to be best practice so I've ordered a secondary FV with a tap towards the bottom which will arrive before I need it.

When it is time I will bottle it from there using carbonated drops but long term I will look into batch priming - that's too much to take in first time around for me.

Thanks for all the help on this forum there is little need to look elsewhere.

Admiral's Reserve now bottled I've had a taste while doing that and it seems decent to me.

Gonna leave it in the kitchen for 2 weeks then move it into the garage for 2-4 weeks and then try it.

Thanks again.

Been speaking to my friend over Facebook as he lives in California - he started brewing early last year. He retired a few years ago made his money and got out - the reason I mention that is it looks like he has spent thousands on all his gear. He is very passionate about his hobby and eager to advise me.

He asked how exactly I had made my first batch and suggested looking at a Fermzilla possibly for the future. What he's told me should be my next step is to get hold of a fridge and use it with an inkbird to control the fermentation temperature. It sounds very good advice to me after reading up a little. I am clearing out my garage next weekend there will be loads of space in there so I think getting one or even two second hand sounds just the thing.

Hey, similar to you I’m starting out, albeit back in due to lock down. The options (and cost!) seem limitless!

I’ve cooked up 3 kits thus far. I’ve not tried one as just kegged* and the other 2 a great.
The route I’m heading down is AG batch sparging, using a cool box, into a kettle, on a gas burner. It’s a bit mix and match, I’ve not tried it yet but sounds and looks like similar set ups to the ones on here and you-tube.
First outing is next week. I’ve loved getting the gear together v’s buying the all-in-one. No dispersions intended - each to their own way, budget etc seems to be the way. In fact, I’m held up now cause I’m missing a part for my diy mash tun.
*ive built a kegorator, which I totally love!
Anyway enjoy the beer.
Mike

So first ale is 10 days bottled.

Bottled my wine kit today after I had racked it. I would say 90% of it is crystal clear the last two bottles are a little cloudy though so perhaps next time I will wait longer and do another racking. Happy overall though. Used sodium percabonate to clean the bottles (I chose to rinse 5 times after using) and Chemsan to sanitise them.

I have a Belgian lager kit I need to wait to get a fridge for before starting off and a red wine kit I might start with next weekend depending on temperatures.

Very happy with the taste of the white wine - after getting second opinions to back it up. Will leave it age now but the initial taste I though was better than supermarket 6-8 quid stuff.

Been speaking to my friend over Facebook as he lives in California - he started brewing early last year. He retired a few years ago made his money and got out - the reason I mention that is it looks like he has spent thousands on all his gear. He is very passionate about his hobby and eager to advise me.

He asked how exactly I had made my first batch and suggested looking at a Fermzilla possibly for the future. What he's told me should be my next step is to get hold of a fridge and use it with an inkbird to control the fermentation temperature. It sounds very good advice to me after reading up a little. I am clearing out my garage next weekend there will be loads of space in there so I think getting one or even two second hand sounds just the thing.
Accurate fermentation temperature control is a big step in the right direction. A quality fermentation vessel is a step up but accurate mash temperature control would be next imho.

EDIT: Don't hesitate to get an Inkbird or even a few of them, they're one of those really useful things that you almost can't have enough of and not just for brewing.

Little update. Made 3 ales and a white wine and was chuffed with them. Bottled everything I think I prefer that.

Had to take a break due to work being crazy but planning on starting up again next few days.

It's a little chilly today so I've ordered 2 heat mats and a second Inkbird to ferment in the garage.

Gonna carry on in this vein throughout the winter trying different kits and maybe think about getting more complicated next year.

Thanks for all the advice on here I've read loads and learned a huge amount - a lot still to go I know.

Cheers!athumb..

Unpacked a Nelson's revenge kit today. Sanitising the equipment at the moment and have set up the inkbird and connected it to a heat mat ready to start after work.

Got my ispindel charged and synched up to Ubidots to use for the first time too.

Got 2 more Ale kits and 2 wine kits lined up - gonna be a merry Christmas even if I can't leave the house.

Latest posts

Back